Sign in to follow this  
64 SPLIT

Dizzy

Bought a new dizzy cap and rotor arm for my 16v today as the old one was showing a few signs of wear and I wanted to rejuvenate the ignition side of things to keep fuel economy at its best.

Anyway, whilst swapping the caps I managed to drop it and lost which way round it was and which HT lead went where.

Now I think I've sorted this out but can anyone tell me

1) the firing order

2) the cylinder numbers from left to right and

3) what order the HT leads should be connected to the cap in starting from top left working clockwise?!

Just in case I need to do anything else with it.

Oh yeah - is it correct that the cap is able to rotate a couple of degrees once clipped on?

bump cos i wanna know too

dont quote me on this (also means of no help at all)

i think....

1, 1342

2, 1234

3, 1243 (sorry i`ve put it clockwise now)

cap should not move really

someone with half a clue will be along to correct me no doubt!

1-3-4-2 is the conventional firing order for a 4-cylinder engine, counting from the "front", i.e. belt pulley end.

There is a register in the cap which should stop it rotating - is it clipped or bolted ?- anyway it shouldnt turn more than a fraction of a degree.

You'll probably find that the length of the leads will give you guidance on which one goes where on the cap.

Best wishes

RB

You can get the engine to TDC using the marks at the crank pulley. With the cap off the rotor should be pointing to a small notch on the dissy body, under the plastic dust shield. If not then the engine needs rotating 180 degrees.

Crank and rotor in the right place, then the rotor will be pointing to number one plug lead. The rotor will go round clockwise, so the next lead should got to number 3 etc etc.

The cat will wiggle a little bit, but it won't affect the timing cos that is down to the hall sender.

Gavin

Cheers guys! I've only got the Passat Haynes manual to go by for a firing order and figured it would probably be the same but wanted to check I'd got the leads right.

The cap is a clip on job with a black 'gimp mask' rubber protector over it. Bought it from Hellfords and aren't particularly impressed with the quality of it so might take it back.