Sign in to follow this  
andy.b

Relay and Fuse Board control for my radiator fan VR6

If the Relay and Fuse Board for my radiator fan on my C VR6 was Kaputt would it cause my fan not to work properly.

i.e, your radiator fan comes on a 90-92 dgress “speed 1”, 100-103 degrees “speed 2” and 120 degrees “speed 3”.

My radiator fan only comes on at 100-103 degrees “speed 2” and it only blows really slowly and my car seems to running round in the high 90’s low 100’s.

When I first got the car and up until 2 months ago my radiator fan used to come on at 90-92 degrees.

If the relay and fuse board was Kaputt would it cause this to happen.

I am pretty sure all the fan control gubbins is under the bonnet. It could be that the low speed part of the fan control switch in the rad has died. If you pull the connector off the switch in the rad and short it out, you should be able to get both speeds. If you do then the switch is forked if not, then something else is up. Not got Bentley at home so can't go deeper at the moment.

Also figure that with the recent warmer weather that water temps will be a little higher.

The other thing is the fan itself.

Gavin

Checked the fuses on the side of the fan controller? Slow fan suggests it’s seized a bit and blown something. 3 fuses on the control box in the engine bay but the 5 amp is the secondary electrical water pump – ignore for this fault. Look at the two bigger fuses 20Amp and the 50Amp plate fuse. Also check fuse 13, 10Amp for pre August 1994 and fuse 6, 30Amp for a post August 1994 C.

First stage failing - Is the radiator thermo switch outputting 12 volts on pin1 (red wire with white strip)? Input 12 volts is on pin 2, red wire with no stripe. Second stage outputs on pin 3, red with black stripe wire. Obviously the engine will need to be HOT!

Speed three is controlled by a switch in the thermostat housing with a black wire with yellow stripe for the 12 volts input and black with white stripe output to the fan controller.

Fan Controllers for are quite common to other VWs of the era so a scrappy will quite possibly have one.

The fan controller is the black plastic thing next to the coolent res, right? Ive seen the big metal 50amp plate fuse but where are the other 2?? are they inside the controller?

Woah! talk about dragging a thread back from the dead... :lol: 8)

Yup, the fan controller is the big black thingy by the coolant expansion tank. There should be 2 fuses there, a 20A and a 50A, and then one in the fusebox in the locations RW1 listed above... 8)