Sign in to follow this  
64 SPLIT

Changing Dizzy Oil Seal?

Got an oil leak into the dizzy cap on my valver which is causing an odd misfire.

I've just had the MOT done and the garage quoted about £45 to swap the seal for me, however, I'd prefer to do the work myself as I know a new seal is only a coupla £'s.

Problem is I've never worked on a Rado engine before and don't have a working timing light anymore and I haven't got a manual so I want to find out - if I make a clean score mark from the dizzy body to the engine block before I remove the dizzy, can I just swap the seal and then refit the dizzy and align the marks to keep the timing spot on?

Yep split, Mark the distributor and cylinder head - I scored both as paint or marker pen easily comes off!!

I dismantled mine last night, but will have to replace the distributor.

Once you've scored the marks and removed the cap and connector its only 2 X 10mm bolts holding it on.

To dismantle the distributor, remove the spring covering the pin on the drive coupling.

Knock out the pin to release the drive coupling. This should let the shaft be pushed out of the distributor housing.

The shaft was worn on my distributor and will have to replace the whole unit.

Thanks for the info skimask!

I figured it should work, but didn't want to attempt it and then find out that it wouldn't run properly afterwards as I need the car to get to work n back.

I'm considering replacing the whole unit myself as the hall effect sensor has become very dirty due to the oil leak as have the electrical connections to it.