Sign in to follow this  
slimtim

Fuelpump problems

I'm trying to change the fuel pump, fuel accumulator and a few pipes. The pipes are rusting through, the fuel pump grumbles and the rusty accumulator will snap in two when I undo the pipes leading to it. Of the three screws that hold the fuel pump into its housing, one is totally shot so I need to remove the whole assembly and attend to things "on the workbench".

I've undone the four main nuts that hold the fuel pump assembly to the body. That drops the whole lot by about 6 inches as it hangs by the fuel pipes but I can't physically get in above the pump to snip the pipe clip of the feed pipe that runs to the fuel tank.

I'm wondering whether undoing the feed fuel pipe from the top of the in-tank fuel pump (from within the boot) will give me enough slack to lower the underside fuel pump enough to snip the pipe clips. Will I also be able to push the pipes back up without removing the tank?!?

Does this make any sense?

I had to remove a 9A 2.0 main pump off a corrado that had been standing idle for 8 years,i was working in a field...,the job was a bit of a sod but i still managed to remove the pump's retaining screws,the top 1 was a real pig because my screwdriver would'nt fit and kept fouling the petrol pipe.

There is some slack but i don't think it's enough to enable you to work any easier.

Remeber also that the pump's plastic casing also has 4 of those captive clips that grip the casings retaining studs very tightly,have you disengaged the plastic housing properly?

The four captive clips are difficult to get off but if you tug sharply...

I'm pretty sure that two bottom screws (in red) would come out okay but the one on the top has no head at all.

The pipe arrowed in blue was replaced about six months ago when I did the filter (a cheap-fix attempt to quieten the pump). For 30 quid I'm a bit narked that it's rusting already!

It's one of those jobs that would be so much easier on a post lift rather than axle stands. :evil:

Hi I am attempting similar thing as mine has a very slight leak, wats the best way out? buy a new pump? does this include everything thats in the pic i.e all the pipes etc or do these need to be bought extra?

Where is it leaking from?! I take it that it's the low(er) pressure side of the pump?

Speaking for the 2.0l:

The (Bosch) pump and accumulatorcame to £160 and each of the two (VW only) pipes about £20.

It's a horrid job. I found the easiest way was to insert some dowel into the feed/return pipes in the boot which allowed me to pull the pipes through -- giving a bit of slack -- without worrying about being able to get them back!

That allows the pump to drop a little further for easier access. The three screws holding the pump come out a lot easier when the assembly is off the car. They only screw into plastic, so they can't really corrode in.

I wrapped the VAG metal pipe in amalgamating tape as I'm buggered if I'm having a VW part that I've paid £20 for corrode so quickly.