Sign in to follow this  
randal

top mount sits higher on one side?

Like the title says really, my driver's side top mount is sitting a good inch higher than the passenger. Bit odd considering I replaced the mounts and shocks together, using the same parts. Any ideas?

If you've used standard top mounts, one may be weaker than the other. Were both of them the same make ? Where did you buy them ?

My advice would be to upgrade to VR6 top mounts, top spring plates & top mount bearings. Far better design & much more solid.

I've got VR6 mounts on there at the moment, but I guess it's totally possible that one porked itself and the other survived. They can with my suspension kit from C&R. Spoke to GSF yesterday, and they said they had the actual mount - but there was some part I had to get from the stealer. I think they were referring to the top plate - which I've got anyway so I think I'm ok. Just to got find the time to go back over everything I've already done once. Grr.

Nick - it does it on flat and slope. More pronounced on the slope obviously, but it's always noticable. You can hear something from that area of the car when you are driving too. It's a knocking sound, as if something was loose.

Ah more toil :lol:

The top spring plate has an angled "bearing seat". May be worth checking that the spring plate is in the correct position & that the bearing is still seated properly.

The VR top mounts have very little or no flexibility at all. If seated correctly, they should both be the same height.

Cool, think I'll just replace the lot as a matter of course using genuine VAG parts - gulp...

Thanks for the reponses though lads, much obliged. :)