Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

who thinks I can do it

ok so I have replaced my tranny before, this will be my second tranny I have destroyed... =-/. this one had no 2nd gear syncro, I had driven it for about 9 months roughly and I finally destroyed the 2nd gear tonight I think, I tried to shift quickly and ground what I believe to be the rest of 2nd gear off. I have to hold the thing in 2nd for a while until it catches and sometimes it will only grind... =-/ also I can hear little bits of metal rattle when I leave the engine in compression... anyone think this is cables or the actual tranny?, I can get the car into every other gear but 2nd, which I have to really hold down hard to get it into...

anyway if no one knows this then I guess the question is who thinks I can take a tranny out of a 16V passat change the gear selector with 1 of the 2 I have (the one that is available at the scrap yard doesnt have a gear selector) and put it back in my car in 1 day, it should take me about an hour and 45 mins to get mine ready to be removed... and I definitely know removing it is a completely different story than it sounds like I did it once before. not changing the clutch this time tho, 8k miles on 1 clutch is still good. =-)

also anyone know of a way to test the tranny for bad syncros without taking it to a shop...? do I have to get 2 people to turn the differential while I change the gear?

ok so I have replaced my tranny before, this will be my second tranny I have destroyed... =-/. this one had no 2nd gear syncro, I had driven it for about 9 months roughly and I finally destroyed the 2nd gear tonight I think, I tried to shift quickly and ground what I believe to be the rest of 2nd gear off. I have to hold the thing in 2nd for a while until it catches and sometimes it will only grind... =-/ also I can hear little bits of metal rattle when I leave the engine in compression... anyone think this is cables or the actual tranny?, I can get the car into every other gear but 2nd, which I have to really hold down hard to get it into...

anyway if no one knows this then I guess the question is who thinks I can take a tranny out of a 16V passat change the gear selector with 1 of the 2 I have (the one that is available at the scrap yard doesnt have a gear selector) and put it back in my car in 1 day, it should take me about an hour and 45 mins to get mine ready to be removed... and I definitely know removing it is a completely different story than it sounds like I did it once before. not changing the clutch this time tho, 8k miles on 1 clutch is still good. =-)

also anyone know of a way to test the tranny for bad syncros without taking it to a shop...? do I have to get 2 people to turn the differential while I change the gear?

If you know your way around the passat/corrado gearbox and fittings I don't see why you couldn't do it in a day, I've done this with no special garage equipment at home a few times. I'm no mechanic but it only takes me about a couple of hours to fit the 02A gearbox, driveshafts, starter etc.. It helps to have stuff like engine supports and winches though if you have no-one to help.

David.

potatonet, PM caiosG60PWR he`s just done a full rebuild using O2A and O2J gearbox`

i think he`s in las vegas this week though

yeah, Im in california, only an 8 hour drive right... hahaha Im gonna take an 02A from a passat, HOPEFULLY it will have a 0.72 5th gear so I wont sit at 3100 rpms at 70, it will be a comfortable 2650... anyway who knows if a 91 passat 16V will have this or not...

jacking the car up tonight, taking my volvo 740 gle with 300k miles on it to work tomorrow, that things a tank. removing the tranny friday night, getting the new on sat morning and replacing it that afternoon, once again, anyway I can check the syncros without taking the thing apart?