Sign in to follow this  
chrisw

timing chains at 107k

I have only had first hand experience of 2 Vr6s, one is the vento, which had the tensioner fail at 119k making shit of the engine and the other one was a golf with 100k on it and the top end was noisy when I sold it on. This suggests to me that there is a problem with the tensioner and that it does need to be replaced at around the 100k mark.

I know the chains never snap, if I was doing another vr I would only change the guide rails, tensioner and tensioner pad I wouldn't waste my money buying new chains. The only reason I put new chains on the vento was that the previous owner had already bought them when I bought the car off him with the engine in bits in the boot.

I'm glad your car is still going ok after 169k on the original chains, have you had the upper timing cover off for a look at the guide rail?

If not then I would suggest that you are the one who is speaking from no place of experience ;)

I've heard of several VR6's (Corrado's, Golfs, Galaxys etc) snap chains around the 150k mark but one at 117k I think. I'd say a safe service interval is 100 to 120k but keping an eye on the upper guide rail every year can't be a bad idea...

Mine is on 126k, no noises but I want to get this job done ASAP (even though I don't really have the money!) anyone know anywhere in the south west that can do this job well (and preferably cheap! - yeh right)??

You have PM

And what Kevin says about cranking the engine over to build up pressure is spot on, also I find that when using silicone as the sole sealer between 2 mating surfaces that ordinary paint thinner cleans the oil and dirt off the metal really well and allows the silicone to seal properly.

Also, I use a sealer called dow corning instant gasket, which is kind of like a super-silicone sealer. I got it in my local motor factors it comes in a white tube with green and black writing on it. Works really well for stuff like that......

anyone know if Sikaflex 255 adhesive is suitable for this purpose?