Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Tips to quieten down the 16v engine?

Hi Guys,

A few of you own the 2.0 16v, and just wondered if you have any tips / things to check that can make the 16v less noisy?

The belts & pulleys on my car will never be quiet it seems - had them all replaced since buying the car and I still get noise from round there. Also had my tappits changed a few months back, and whilst that helps, the car still sounds very noisy. Hard to define noisy exactly - just a lot of general whirring, chugging - can hear noises from inside the cabin at idle..

Can the alternator be noisy? I dont have the tools required to disconnect the alternator belt, so cant be sure if thats the problem.

Yet every time I have gone to Stealth and said "engine still seems noisy" they always seem to think it sounds fine?

Any ideas?

Cheers.

hi jim,

it could also be a bit noiser than usual if you are using a too thin an oil,eg if you're using fully synthetic try using semi-synthetic that seems to work with some vr6's which can be a bit noisy on idle too...though i haven't had a problem with my vr6 being noisy and i use the synta-gold fully synthetic,so it might or might not work :?

if you do change from fully synthetic to semi-synthetic make sure you don't mix them though

Roddy,

Hm.. interesting that you mention this. When I had my car serviced by Stealth in Feb last year, they put in Synta 10w/40 which I felt made the engine noisier.

In the summer, managed to persuade one of the motor vehicle guys to change out the oil for some Castrol GTX 15w/40 which had been reccomended by Ron Ashtiani from the Corrado-UK mailing list - he was an ex 16v owner, and had found it helped him out a lot.

And it did help a lot - quietened down the engine a lot. But then I took the car to stealth for new tappits and found that they had topped up the car with some more oil, which I assume to be their 10w/40 Synta. So now I have a mixture in there.

Could that be causing harm? The car is due for service again at the end of February so an oil change is due real soon...

also do you still have sound-deadening material on the underside of your bonnet?.......if thats missing that could well let too much noise back into the cabin

Roddy,

The sound deadening is all present and correct, and in good condition.

I'll have to keep looking into this one..

Sure a 1.8T transplant would sort me out.. lol :D

Sure a 1.8T transplant would sort me out.. lol

better start saving those pennies then :wink:

sod the pennies.....start saving the pounds!! :D

Hey Roddy,

You gonna be making the trek down from Scotland for the CCGB AGM?

Just curious.. wouldnt mind seeing your car in the metal, as it were.

You gonna be making the trek down from Scotland for the CCGB AGM?

sorry jim but i'm 99% sure i'm not going :cry:

although i'm definately going down to gti-international this year....i'll more than likely be going in dubster82's g-60(from the yahoo e-group)..........but i'll be making a trek down to AmD at some point this year in my motor......so would be on for meeting when i do that....i'll let you know as soon as i know :wink:........though if it ties in with the agm then it'll be a bonus :D

i take it you'll be going to the agm then? and will you be going to gti-international too?

Roddy,

Dont know to be honest mate! I wouldn't mind making the drive up to GTI International as I have never been before... I'll definately be going to the AGM as its such a short trip away for me.

I know that John Munyard has some dates for a Rolling Road day at AmD early this year, and I wouldnt mind going to that...

It must be a hell of a trek down from Scotland though... 4+ hour drive?

It must be a hell of a trek down from Scotland though... 4+ hour drive?

LOL....4 hours just gets me into england

though i've driven down to wednesbury and back in a day...left at 4am and was back at 8pm

gti-international is well worth going to,and if you haven't been before then it'll be a great experience for you

for going down to gti-international this year,i'm reckoning on approx 10-12 hour journey time with the usual pis-stops,food and fuel...as its the guts of 600 miles for me,last year we left at 5am and got to wroughton at 2pm and that was just over 500 miles for me

Cripes! Driving down in a VR wouldnt exactly prove financially viable then would it.. :(

GTI International does sounds really cool.. it'd be nice to go to a car show dedicated to Dubs, so I can mooc around and pick up stickers and memoriabilia and stuff :)

Might even find useful parts and bits.. think I will definately go this year :)

Cripes! Driving down in a VR wouldnt exactly prove financially viable then would it

32 mpg average(70-85mph and a few !!!mph)there and on the way back......it worked out at just over £100 fuel in total................and as i had a passenger with me...we shared the driving and the fuel cost