Sign in to follow this  
retroactivefunk

Cam Belt (timing belt)

Oh boy, can you say pain in my arse....

So I had a blown head gasket in a car I just bought.

If I'd taken it apart myself, I probably could have put it back together ok..

I do not have a manual, but have done lots of heads myself.

ANyways, I got it all back together...except the timing belt seems to be loose.

I don't know how to tighten up the tensioner...

and even worse...as I look down

across from the tensioner there is a gear....

it does not spin freely, I try to turn it and it sounds like metal grinding...

what is this gear connected to?

Big guess, VR or G60.

I think its a G60 and the pulley is the intermediate shaft which drives the distributer.

You need to ensure that you get that IM shaft in the right place when you tension the belt up. If not the ign timing will be out.

The easy way would be set the crank and cam to TDC on #1 and make sure the rotor arm points to the notch on the dissy body under the dust cap.

To tension the belt, undo the 15mm nut and rotate the tensioner clockwise( I think) until the belt can just make a 90 deg twist on the longest run.

Nip up the 15mm nut tight and turn the enigine over by hand, off the crank bolt or rock it in gear. Mkae sure all the marks line up still after a couple of rotations and that's it.

Gavin

Not a VR with a belt.

I wonder what the metallic grating noise can be. Perhaps there is a knackered bearing somewhere. Does the intermediate shaft also drive the oil pump?

There are 2 holes in the face of the tensioner; put the ends of a pair of circlip pliers, or similar, into them and use this to turn the eccentrically mounted wheel of the tensioner, and tighten the lock nut.

Best wishes

RB

intermediate shaft drives the oil pump on valvers - dunno about others?

Betcha it's the timing belt tensioner bearing (G60), I replace it with each timing belt change. To tighten the belt tension there are 2 small holes opposite of each other in the middle of the tensioner pulley, a spanner that fits in the holes is best but turning this center piece tightens the belt. Once tight enough (you can twist the belt a 1/4 way around), lock the nut down.

IM shaft does turn the oil pump on 8 Valvers too. But with it being likely it was a G60 I thought the dissy was as good an explanation.

Gavin