Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Revs disappear?

Dear All, whilst cruising at 4000 +/- rpm in my M reg 2.0 16V Corrado I've noticed that the once in a while the revs cut out and the rev counter shoots to 0, power disappears and then a second or two later they jump back to where they were and all returns to normal? Any suggestions on whether this is a fuel block or loose connection? :?:

Jonboy, I'd have a hunt round the search, but my initial guesses would be:

a) faulty ignition switch (I had one which flickered on and off whilst driving!)

b) failing earth lead under the bonnet (big strap, far back right)

A fuel block wouldn't cause the revs to drop to 0, as the engine will still turn without fuel if driving along in gear...

So it's going to be electrical!

Thanks Andi, I've just had the ignition switch replaced and the problem persists so I'm guessing the failing earth lead could be the cause. I've had an electrician look over the car when it wouldn't start and he first put in a new ignition switch and then relay on the imobiliser!

take off the fuse box inspection cover and make sure all of the plugs on the back of the fuse box are fully plugged in... sounds like a loose connection to me... ;)

Dist. hall sensor/conector contaminated with oil due to leaking dist seal,ecu relay not making good contact,check coil connections....