Sign in to follow this  
64 SPLIT

Changing the fuel pump

Just ordered a new fuel pump and filter from GSF as my pump has died.

Anyway, I just want to make sure that I'm gonna have everything I need to do the job as I need to get my car back on the road as quickly as possible.

Is there anything I need other than new fuel hose clips?

I noticed most of the pipes seem to be solid ones? Do these come as part of the new fuel pump or do I have to reuse them and if so do I need new seals etc.?

Any help muchly appreciated. I'll get some pics of the process to post up afterwards as I can't find a good 'how to' thread on the subject only the fuel filter.

Sorry, just read your description - 16V...

The under car one is just a straight swap (again with new clips) but maybe worth having some 8mm fuel pipe handy incase it looks a bit worse for wear..

The intank lifter pump also just swaps over, I think you also need a new jubilee clip for this as well, the Pierburg ones GSF sell should come with a new pickup mesh but if not just clean and reuse the original...

After fiting these, prime the pumps 5 times before trying to start the engine (turn the ignition to stage 2 and off again 5 times)