Sign in to follow this  
JT

Mercedes 300 SL

does anyone know what to look out for on a 1988 convertable Merc 300 SL, it's an auto with f/s/h (not sure yet if thats all merc) and it's done 65'000,

my mums been after one for years and is on my case to find out what she should look out for as it looks like she has found the one she wants :D

uummm, my parents have a 1993 SL500,dont think they have had one problem with it,had it about 5 years now. Id check the roof works perfectley,hard top is a must aswell,if that doesnt dont bother,big bucks. Decent S/H would be a must aswell, and make sure the auto box is as smooth as a nut,any shunting or knocking then walk. that mileage is the same as my parents one and is very low for an '88 registered car,it has probably been fannied about by an old dear so the auto box may not be in be in all that great condition.

In the last 3 months I have taken on 2 part-exchanges that have been autos with low mileages and both the boxes went bust....grabted they werent merc SL's but Auto boxes like being used

cheers buddy

from what i have read today it's case of just make sure everything works electicaly, obviously check the box, and watch for the head gasket especially towards the front of the engine, to be honest i reckon it's a rac or aa inspection job, just to be sure, thanks for you info tho....

Defo check all electrics my old man had problems with the air con unit in his 95 sl and it cost an absolute fortune to fix if i remember correctly an new ignition switch was around £200!! also check for problems with hood operation, hard and soft tops. Sometimes problems with hard tops going on but not coming off. Great cars though and some around at very reasonable prices. Dad just let his mint 95 50000k 320sl go for under 10k. Great car to "borrow" at the weekends too!!

Credit goes to http://www.honestjohn.co.uk....

What's Good

Roadsters originally bought by movie stars, nouveaux riches and pools winners, had very long model life from 1971 to 1989. 14' 5" long by 5' 10" wide. Six-cylinder engines more economical and cheaper to repair than V8s. A lady in Weybridge used to drive her pet parrot around in one. It just sat there on a box in the passenger seat chattering away. Useful online forum http://www.mbclub.co.uk Usergroup http://www.mercedesclub.org.uk

What's Bad

I call these 'ribside' roadsters from the Fiat Panda-like ribbing along the sides. To some eyes, they are really ugly and look like oversized fairground dodgem cars. But other people like them and there is still some status attached to driving one around with the top down. Unlikely ever to be as 'classic' as previous model 230SL, 250SL, 280SL 'Pagoda Top' and light years behind the 50s to early 60s 300SL.

What to Watch Out For

Fell into the wrong hands in those middle years between being old cars and becoming 'classics'. Lots driven by rich women, some of whom bounce them off kerbs, so check for uneven tyre wear signifying suspension damage. Be very wary of 'customised' SLs with oversize alloys, vulgar body kits and white leather steering wheels. If it has aircon, make sure the aircon blows cold. Faulty ABS means a very expensive MOT failure. Make sure the power hood works properly and has no tears. Must have had 3,000-mile fully synthetic oil changes. Take the air filter top off and look for oil in the plenum chamber underneath. If you find any, walk away sharpish.