Sign in to follow this  
64 SPLIT

YIKES!! Brakes going soft!!

My valver has developed a scary problem with the brakes - they are all in excellent condition (black diamond x-drilled n vented etc.) anyway, the pedal has a really reassuringly firm feel to it, however the other day when I was driving it, when I came to slow down I noticed the pedal had gone softer, and the pedal would travel a good inch or two further before I felt anything and then it wasn't as positive as usual.

Where do I start checking cos I really don't want this happening if I ever have to slam on!! :shock:

Check how much brake fluid is in the resovior. Then get advise from the people who know more about brakes than me as I tried to install my Brembo Calipers upside down!

check the master cylinder it will still work but just get worse and worse not overly exspensive.... i take it you still stop but just gets quite spongy and the the pedal travels further the longer you brake ?

Change your brake fluid. It's most probably caused by moisture in the fluid.

Water has a much lower boiling point then brake fluid. As a conseuqence, when you brake, the water boils, compresses, and the pedal goes soft.

Re-applying the brake should restore full braking force, but it can certainly make for some hairy moments. :pale:

also check your flexy hoses for any signs of either dampness (internal failure) or bubbles on the outer surface.

Personally, I'd place odds on it being crappy fluid which is in need of changing or a leaky cylinder, either master or in one of the calipers. Check that the brake fluid level isn't altering as this will show you if you have a leaky cylinder.