AB

running rich

hi i have just brought a 1.8 16V corrado it is running a bit rich. so on the throttle body which is the mixture screw and what way should i turn it to lean the car up a bit??

also what should i exspect to get to the gallon from one if it is driven sensibly. thanks for any advice.

No lambda probe on an 1800 dude.

The screw on the throttle body is for adjusting the tickover not the mixture. What makes you say it is running rich?? You can only really state that after having it on a gas tester.

The mixture adjustment is on the fuel distributer, which is the bit with all the pipes on it. Where the big elbo is you will find a small hole, at the bottom is a 3mm allen key which alters the mixture. With the engine OFF turn it anti clockwise to weaken and clockwise to richen.

Please use a gas tester though for accuracy.

Gavin

hi i have just brought a 1.8 16V corrado it is running a bit rich. so on the throttle body which is the mixture screw and what way should i turn it to lean the car up a bit??

also what should i exspect to get to the gallon from one if it is driven sensibly. thanks for any advice.

check the plugs if you think it's running rich, they can tell you a lot about the condition of engine and fuelling.

If you get less than 30mpg average (tank to tank - don't trust computer) then it could be in need of a tune up and new plugs etc.. If you do a lot of town driving the 1.816v in the corrado is not very efficient, heavy car and poor low end torque.

As a guide, I've never got less that 28mpg average from mine, mixture of driving, and it's usually around 33/34mpg, and that's with a 2.0 bottom end added.

There's no substitute for a rolling road setup, I'm off to Stealth next week for just that, should be IRO an hours labour, which is about the same as the cost of a tankful of fuel!

David.

thanks for the advice. i was going by the computer i have sat down and worked it out to be around 28 to 30 mpg which is fine by me.

My 2.0ltr seems to be getting about 15-18mpg around town, the trip computer seems to average 25mpg on a run and I've tallied up the fuel used against the miles covered and it seems to tally up with the trip computer. The guy who I bought it off said the thermostat needs changing. Could this affect the fuel consumption so much or will something else need changing as I was expecting an average of 30 out of it.