Sign in to follow this  
joebloggsVR69

Ignition barrel problem? UPDATE - got a new switch - :help:

Since last week, my stereo stopped working if hooked up to the ignition wire. It's never given me a problem until now. It works occasionally, if the key is twiddled to a certain position and there's a full moon.. :roll:

Anyhow, I've got around this by hooking the wire to the battery wire, so at least the stereo works.

I do now have a problem with the car starting. It will fire up no problem, but as soon as I let go of the key so it settles in position, it sometimes cuts out.

Is this a symptom of a dodgy barrel? Any ideas how much the $tealers charge for 'em?

Cheers

Not the barrel dude but the switch itself. You can pull the plug off the one that's fitted and stick the new switch on the cable.

A flat blade screwdriver will start the car but DONT DRIVE OFF WITHOUT PUTTING THE KEY IN THE LOCK OR YOU HIT SOMETHING FOR SURE!

Gavin

yup, about £25 from VAG... Don't be tempted by an aftermarket one from GSF or ECP as they're not as good as the VAG ones and will need replacing again much sooner... ;) :roll:

yup, about £25 from VAG... Don't be tempted by an aftermarket one from GSF or ECP as they're not as good as the VAG ones and will need replacing again much sooner... :wink: :roll:

Yeah thanks, was deffo gonna go for a VAG bit :)

I dont like to skimp when it comes to stuff like that, only go to GSF for oil/wiperblades etc :lol:

The story continues.

I bought a new ingition switch from the dealers today. Only cost £18. Anyway, the guy at the parts desk told me it would be a real b4stard to fit. I thought to myself, it cant be that bad, surely...

So I got home, removed both cowlings from the around the steering wheel, disconnected the cables which were in the way, even took out the trim in the lower footwell for more access.

Now then, where the hell is the screw that holds the damn switch on? Managed to find it (with the aid of a small mirror..), but it really is inaccessible. :mad: :( I can barely see it, let alone remove it..

Any ideas on how to remove the bloody thing?

Ah, excellent, never saw that 8)

Now then... where can I get a watchmakers screwdriver :?

You're damn right about needing a cushion down there! :lol: :oops:

what i did was break up the old switch as much as i could with a pair of pliers, hey you don't need it no more, giving a little bit more access.

Used a watchmakers screwdriver to then unscrew the screw.

Wouldn't bother screwing the screw back in, it's fairly secure without. Having said that it was on a mates old C which was a bit rough anwyay. Had it been mine i probably would've persevered until that bugger was tight. No doubt you will too. :wink:

Good luck!

I was dreading this day all week, but I made another attempt at changing the ignition switch and managed to do it :cheers:

Didnt even have to remove the seat or bend any screwdrivers :)

Car now starts at the first attempt, just like the good old days :lol:

Interesting thread.

Dragging up an oldie here.

Now the C is on the Rd a little elecy Gremlin lives in the car.

Start car first time every time. No probs at all. Stereo is Dead some of the time. Also noticed Oil pressure gauge needle is dead. All dash lights work including Aux gauges.

Also read on a previous thread the question was asked 'Have you messed about with the speakers? One in qoestion drivers Tweeter'... Yes I have infact I had to repair all the front conections. So what may I have disturbed?

Narrowed this down to... If I just touch the key whilst running the needle rises and the stereo pops on and all is well.

Is this the Ignition switch?

Narrowed this down to... If I just touch the key whilst running the needle rises and the stereo pops on and all is well.

Is this the Ignition switch?

Sounds very much like it's the switch - my stereo was a bit tempremental if you played with the key

Not anymore though :)