Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

Info on getting fans to come on with VR6 rad.

Hi all.

I was going to use my Haltech EMS to run the fans but it looks like I have run out of digital outputs.. dohh..

So my question is how do the fans normally work on corrado's/mk2's etc? Anybody have a wiring diagram and or an ETka piccy?

My understanding is that they are run by plugging the fans into the thomostat on the rad and supplying this setup with its own power supply straight from the battery? Is this right?

Ben

Fusebox fan live -> Rad Thermo switch low switch-> Fan Motor low +ve

Fusebox fan live -> Rad Thermo switch high switch-> Fan Motor High +ve

Fan Motor -ve to earth

There's also a fan run-on which is wired from the fusebox and joins onto the low speed wire AFTER the thermo switch...

This is assuming a 3 wire fan... VRs have a 4 wire with 3 speeds - mine just has the low switch wired to the fan instead of both high and low so it comes on flat out straight away without a lower speed (the resistor pack is in the fan motor, all wiring is 12V ;) )

Essentially, you can power straight from the battery to the thermo switch and then onto the fan, but don't forget to plonk a fuse in the wire from the battery... I'd hate to see your masterpiece go up in smoke... :|

Cheers Henny.

Because my setup is far from standard I might just make up a small loom with some inline fuses straight from the batt to the thermo as I have x2 kenlowe fans in there. Shouldn't be too hard? Might dig out the wiring diagram and see what goes. My problem is that I don't have the plug that goes onto the thermo therefore I might have to solder straight onto the thermo and fits some connectors. Also very little room around that area because of water piping...

Ben

use spade terminals and you should be able to connect to the original thermo switch... ;) That's how mine's wired anyway... :oops: :lol:

I made up a fresh loom for the fans 'cos I've got a single speed 12" thin fan on there from ThinkAuto... I'm using the standard fan run on system and the standard fan +ve feed from the fuse box, but in J-DUB it was all relay'd up straight to the battery and in H-YYU I've replaced the old wires 'cos they'd gone all green and crappy instead of nice shiney copper... ;)

At the moment I've got a male spade connector that I plug straight onto the battery when I'm gonna use the car 'cos the thermo switch died when the head gasket started blowing and if I don't do it this way, the car overheats in about 4 minutes! :oops: As it is, I can drive it for over an hour without it overheating, although the coolant system gets somewhat pressurised... :|

use spade terminals and you should be able to connect to the original thermo switch... ;) That's how mine's wired anyway... :oops: :lol:

I made up a fresh loom for the fans 'cos I've got a single speed 12" thin fan on there from ThinkAuto... I'm using the standard fan run on system and the standard fan +ve feed from the fuse box, but in J-DUB it was all relay'd up straight to the battery and in H-YYU I've replaced the old wires 'cos they'd gone all green and crappy instead of nice shiney copper... ;)

At the moment I've got a male spade connector that I plug straight onto the battery when I'm gonna use the car 'cos the thermo switch died when the head gasket started blowing and if I don't do it this way, the car overheats in about 4 minutes! :oops: As it is, I can drive it for over an hour without it overheating, although the coolant system gets somewhat pressurised... :|

Cool. Thats what I will do. If I can find the loom I'll power it off the fuesbox but I'm pretty sure I've losts that unless its attached to the headlight loom??? Otherwise I will use a couple of spade connectors on the thermo and a fused wire from the batt. Jobs a good'den! Do you still use J-Dub then?

B

J-DUB's in bits at the moment (in my garage, living room, dining room and back garden... :oops: ) and is awaiting me to get some cash together to buy a written off car to do an interesting loom and engine transplant from... probably a MKIV or MKV Golf TDI... 8)

I've got enough bits to put her back together now if I wanted to with the G60 engine that came out of H-YYU, but I don't want 2 G60s... If I'm gonna have a second car, it's gotta be something more economical, and seeing as she currently owes me less than £400, I reckon a TDI conversion's the way to go... 8)

thinking more along the lines of a 2.0 with 150ish BHP AND a remap... ;) :twisted:

dont know anything about the fans but can i have your interior please?

it looks stunning mate

how much did it cost and where did you get it done?

12/10 for that!!!

conleycrew3, click on the link in his Sig for more details of his car... it's a real work of art and the pics just don't do it justice... 8)

conleycrew3,

The interior took me about 14 months to do from scratch and the leather wasn't toooo bad in terms of cost as I got a very good deal :)

Henny,

:oops: