Sign in to follow this  
Bees

Dipped headlights

I have noticed from time to time that when i start my car up sometimes the dipped headlights used to come on for a short period and also when i switch my lights off at night the dash lights flicker a little (is this normal?).

Anyway... I have an uprated wiring loom on the headlights and about 2 weeks ago they would only come on with side lights or main beams (not dipped) so i checked under the bonnet and replaced both the fuses on the wiring loom (they were very dirty and one looked a little melted :? ) but hey presto they worked - well they did for about a week and now same thing again (sidelights or main beams) so checked fuses in loom and fine and also ones in car and they all fine too - I have got a feeling that it could be something to do with the uprated loom but as i didnt fit it or know much about it i dont know if this would be the case (i.e only sides and main beams) has any one had any similar problems to this and or what it could be?

I can drive with side lights on and fog lamps too (so i can see at night) but sooner or later i will prob get pulled by the police with the classic line "is it foggy where your from.......?"

any help much appreciated

Can you describe the loom? Does it have 2 fuses, who did you get the car from?

Try swapping the 2 relays in the loom around and let me know what happens.

Gavin

The loom has 2 Yellow(10?) fuses in it - tell you what ill take a pic and post

Bought car from a CCGB member in Warrington at time

have a look under your air box for a set of wires that run your lights, covered in that black plaggy stuff, i had a problem with theese wires being frayed together over the years.

lights flicjkered, went off, came on and screwed my fuses as soon as they were put in (this was after a while though when it got worse)

try it and see anyway, wont do any harm to look?!

The wiring that runs the loom is on the other side of the car in this case.

The cars own fuses haven't been the problem, so the wiring must be OK.

Gavin

Thanks alot for your help guys (esp Gavin for the advice! :D and being so helpful) going to give it a good look 2moz as it bit dark now to be looking