Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Leaking Coolant EDIT Changing Coolant...

Hi

Not Corrado related, but the 1.8 engine in the MK3 is a similar lump to the G60.

The top flexi pipe from the radiator going to the top of the engine fits into a plastic part which takes hoses from the coolant tank and also has an electronic cable in the top.

The plastic part attaches to the engine which is where it leaks.

I have taken it apart last weekend and bought a new rubber gasket (looks like a black rubber band), replaced it and it still leaks....

The plastic part is a square shape and only has bolts on two of the corners so the fit isn't great from factory.

When I took the old seal off it was the same as the new one I have bought but hasn't solved the problem, do you think I need to use a sealant or do you think there is suppose to be another gasket?

The plastic isn't cracked, it's the seal from the black plastic to the engine

Top of Radiotor -> Coolant pipe -> Black plastic thing -> engine

Any help would be greatly appreciated

You need a new plastic part, most prolly warped, might aswell have changed it when you did the seal since they usually break putting them back on!

yup, with Bix here... it's the heads front water flange which has probably warped so it's not sealing properly... they're not mega expensive, and only have 2 bolts to take 'em off as you already know from changing the O ring... 8)

Cheers guys, just ordered the parts!

Do you know if the charger can just be altered on to make it a G60 without any other changes - not that I'm going to, just interested

you need different pistons to drop the compression ratio, up rated con-rods, a different head gasket, different injectors, ECU, engine loom and some internal block modifications to get it to be reliable with a G60... It's actually quite a lot easier to throw the old loom, engine and box away and fit a PG one out of a genuine G60! ;)

Okay, bit of a problem...

I removed the lower radiator hose and drained the coolant out, then flushed with water.

I replaced the part with all seals etc. The new part I noticed had two wholes at the top, one for the sensor and another for a safety blow off top (which I now know).

The car is now at a garage.

Apparently you have to blead the system of air, how does one do this so I don't do it on a nice car?