Sign in to follow this  
bighands

Just Brought a golf, few questions . .

After the corrado mis-behaving over the weekend (ANOTHER head gasket) it was decided its comming of the road for a few months to get everything sorted out once and for all . . soooo had to get a car to tie me over for a few months, so i have just brought a golf, seems good buy, 2 tiny bits of rust, but fairly immaculate apart from that!!

But . . . the clutch is as stiff as fook, how could i ease it?

And its a carb (1.8) with manual choke, thought that was bit weird?!? and runs lumpy on tickover, and you have to floor it to get it to start, but runs as quiet and as smooth as a dream when its going?

Also it doesnt seem to have an airbox, where is it on these, is it in the black box above the carb, cos theres a pipe comming off there, that goes no where!!!! didnt notice till i got it home!

Cheers

ANDY

Also it doesnt seem to have an airbox, where is it on these, is it in the black box above the carb, cos theres a pipe comming off there, that goes no where!!!! didnt notice till i got it home!

Cheers

ANDY

obviously the youth of today :wink: ......................correct the black box above the carb is the airbox or rather the air cleaner as they are known on carb'd cars................i would imagine that the pipe should be fitted to it or fitted to something

Fraid not, just goes down to the left hand front side of the engine bay, it sound about right- cut my teeth on a mk2 driver! :wink:

Ah, i had just taped a bit of rag over the end of it for a temp 'air cleaner' till i got to the scrappies LOL will go and remove it now!!!!

Its F reg, 1.8 8v 130,000 nearly exactly on the clock . .

Heres crap pic that was on autotrader . .

YOUTH!!!!! im nearly quarter of a centery old :(

Sorry **EDIT**

On the log book its a GOLF GL 4+E 1.8

4+E?!?!?!?!

And it cost us 350 squid, fair u think?!?

Switch for summer/winter driving, there should be a pipe coming from your exhaust manifold cover to the air intake.

You should still have an air filter there, the black box should contain one.

P.S. whatever you do DON'T get a K&N filter for it, it does away with the black box/piping/hot air intake, so the carb will freeze over for a past time.

thats crying out for some chrome spinners!

Sorry to hear she's being a bitch again!

:fist: :lol:

Nar its ok, im getting hacked off with her, so off the road for a couple of months, calm down, save up some cash, and put it back on, mechanicly sound, and hopefully dent n rust free with more horses :)

oh, and STEEL spinners on order . . .if they fall through, they have some well tasty ones in halfords, but there plastic, with crome plating, a close second i think

Cheers tho geezer!

As for the pipe, theres definatly something missing under there, i dunno what tho! have to have day out to the scrappies and compare what it SHOLD look like and go on the rob!

get a weber carb for it, the one it comes with is a heap of sh1te. auto choke never works, manual choke kits over fuel and jam up, and they ice up in cold weather if you don't have the proper hot air intake hose and the collector sheilds on the exhaust manifold 9which are no doubt rotten)

they go well with a weber, I had a jetta syncro with one on it, it went like a GTI, but with more grip!

our old 1.6 GL Auto had the poxy standard carb, with all of the above faults....

i will get the camera out tomorrow if i get time, theres a reciept for about 4 years ago saying webber carb fitted, is that a replacement one u think? or reading it it might just be a manual choke conversion kit, mechanics crap hand writing makes it near impossible to read!!! but can definatly make out "webber manual choke conversion kit remove old carb strip off ancillaries 'something' new kit" might then be 'bin choke unit' and the rest is jibberish!!

The previous owner probably had the same problems every other carb'ed Mk1/2 owner had in the winter.

I had a Mk1 1500 GLS, the ex had a Mk1 1500 GX, when you started them in winter - sorry, IF they started in winter - they took 5 minutes to start running on all 4 cylinders!

Do you have a corrugated pipe leading from the air filter housing down to a spot behind the front grille? Because that's what I'd expect to be there.

And isn't 4+E a reference to the gearbox - I always thought it was a long-legged 5th for economy?

get a weber carb for it, the one it comes with is a heap of sh1te. auto choke never works, manual choke kits over fuel and jam up, and they ice up in cold weather if you don't have the proper hot air intake hose and the collector sheilds on the exhaust manifold 9which are no doubt rotten)

I sold my Mk2 Golf last year for £300, with 105k. The sweetest engine ever; better than my C.

The Golf had a Pierburg carb (auto choke) on it and was known to go wrong. Mine was brilliant and I should have kept it on, as it always cold started (only the diafram split, but could be replaced for £15); however i replaced it with a Weber (manual choke) £120 new off ebay (versus £180 out of the shop). This was a twin carb and meant better fuel economy and better drive (once fully open on both carbs) given the right jetting.

There would have been a big black box on top of the carb, this being the Airbox, with in line filter; this had a pipe all the way to the front of the car and had a second pipe (corrugated as said previously) which came from the manifold/engine thus preventing carb-freeze.