Sign in to follow this  
.A.N.T.

Won't go into gear......

Hey all, been a while I know – been traveling, but I’ve now decided to get the Corrado back on the road.

When I left (a year ago) it was having problems getting into gear, it’s still doing it… :o(

There’s pedal pressure on the clutch pedal, it’s not dropping to the floor which is what the VW garage guy said would happen if the master or slave cylinder had gone but it won’t go into gear. With the clutch fully down it just won’t clunk into any of the forward or reverse gears…

Yesterday I took it out for a spin round the village (big grin!) and it changed gear fine, but then after stopping for a while and starting it again the problem reappeared…

Someone on here suggested bleeding the system and seeing if that would make any difference. How do I bleed it???! I’ll give that a go and see if that cures anything. Then it’ll be time for the MOT (no doubt needing work to the rear handbrake as that’s needed each year!) then it’ll be back on the road again :o) :o) :o)

If anyone has any ideas, please share them!!

(it’s a j plate 16v btw…)

Thanks!!

Ant.

Not sure, but I think you can rule out it being a problem with the cables . If it was a matter of cable adjustment then you'd be able to get into 1st easy but not reverse or visa versa. It'd still be worth having a bit of a play around with the cables to rule that out completely.

Does it go into gear better when the cars engine isnt running? Netx time when its playing up, stop, turn your engine off, and try the gears both with clutch down and up. May give you a better idea of whether its a clutch problem.

Been out in it for another drive round the village and it isn't doing it again, ie. it's going into gear fine now...

So it's intermittant...

When it first happened about a year ago (been sitting since then in the garage) the RAC guy said it might have been due to water getting into the clutch housing and then rusting the plates together.

Wasn't sure about this but the fact it's now ok again leans towards this.

Bit of a puzzle really....

Sounds like a clutch disc problem to me. Sometimes one of the springs comes loose or even pops out and gives the symptoms you describe.

If you are sure the clutch hydraulics are ok then this is almost certainly the problem IMO....