Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Possible oil leak under front bumper

Sorry i have another question.

I noticed oil forming back of front bumper just below oil filter. So when i changed the oil on my car i made sure the oil filter was on tight. (old oil filter came off a bit easy). Thinking this was the cause i forgot about it. Now ive noticed drips of oil on the driveway again, not large amount jsut small patches. Ive once again looked under front bumper and noticed the oil again. Im wondering if its coming from the pipes which run along the length of front bumper (they have corrigated plastic round them, presuming that they protect pipes). What are these pipes, whats the part no for them and is it serious or jsut a case of a rotted pipe which needs replacing????

THANKS!

Sorry i have another question.

I noticed oil forming back of front bumper just below oil filter. So when i changed the oil on my car i made sure the oil filter was on tight. (old oil filter came off a bit easy). Thinking this was the cause i forgot about it. Now ive noticed drips of oil on the driveway again, not large amount jsut small patches. Ive once again looked under front bumper and noticed the oil again. Im wondering if its coming from the pipes which run along the length of front bumper (they have corrigated plastic round them, presuming that they protect pipes). What are these pipes, whats the part no for them and is it serious or jsut a case of a rotted pipe which needs replacing????

THANKS!

model of C would help, but from your description you're talking about the power steering pipes, one is a feed to the rack the other is a feed from the reservoir to the pump, it's usually the one to the rack that goes at the joints to the unions on the ends, so it's possible the PS fluid is dribbling along the pipe to the lowest point, if it is a hose one off a passat (2nd hand) will fit so you don't need to pay VW new prices.

It may however be another leak, e.g. oil pressure sensor on oil filter housing, leaking and dripping onto these pipes, but the pipes themselves are not connected to the engine oil in any way.

I'd say give it all a wipe around and then investigate for fresh oil after a short drive.

Has the PS fluid gone doen at all?

David.

Hello David,

Sorry about that mate its a '91 G60. Funnily enough i checked the power steering resavoir and it was below min mark. Ive topped it up, looks ok still now though.

Another thing, the rubber pipe which comes out of the throttle body and is connected to a plastic pipe via a jubilee clip, is that suppose to have oil in it, even a small amount. noticed oil residue coming out around where the two pipes join via the jubilee clip?

Cheers David

Yeah, you need to find out if it's engine oil of PS fluid...

It could just be oil dripping off the subframe from the oil change if it was fairly recent... G60 oil fiters are in the most awkward place!

well i did it maybe 4 weeks ago maybe more. I checked the oil last night and it wasnt low. Have to get it to the garage and get someone under it. PS fluid isnt black is it. Thing is i sniffed the black liquid and it didnt smell of oil, didnt smell of anything. It wasnt BLACK BLACK, maybe due to the fact its not THAT old. AND it didnt have that oily colourful look too it like oil does especially if water has got into it.

well i did it maybe 4 weeks ago maybe more. I checked the oil last night and it wasnt low. Have to get it to the garage and get someone under it. PS fluid isnt black is it. Thing is i sniffed the black liquid and it didnt smell of oil, didnt smell of anything. It wasnt BLACK BLACK, maybe due to the fact its not THAT old. AND it didnt have that oily colourful look too it like oil does especially if water has got into it.

PS fluid is generally green when new and brown when old/rusty, it's much thinner than engine oil too, just keep an eye on your fluid levels till you get a good look under it.

David.