Sign in to follow this  
khurrado

Sub frame question

to replace the front crossmember (subframe) you dont need to put it on a jig. Just make sure you put the car on jack stands and support the motor with another stand since when you remove the front crossmember the front motor mount will have to be unbolted..

The engine mounts on both cross member at the front and sub frame at the rear, I've changed a sub frame with no jig, just axle stands. Not a horrendous job, just takes some time.

The engine mounts on both cross member at the front and sub frame at the rear, I've changed a sub frame with no jig, just axle stands. Not a horrendous job, just takes some time.

the front or rear one? How did you support the engine if it was the rear?

the front or rear one? How did you support the engine if it was the rear?

With a trolley jack IIRC, yea it was the rear one, was on a passat, but I'm sure it was pretty much the same...

Just support the engine on some axle stands and the car on its sills on some more axle stands. Then loosen all bolts and lower the subframe on a trolley jack, taking care not to rag on the power steering assembly which bolts to the subframe and needs to be seperated carefuly. It's a bit fiddly but if you get the subframe balanced nicely on the jack it is fairly straightforward. Take care with the subframe and wishbone bolts as they have been known to strip or cross-thread, causing major amounts of hassle.

Chris

Thanks for the info, n oway im gonna jump in the deep end on this one though, ive never changed my breaks yet alone a sub frame