Sign in to follow this  
stu

Difficult to select 1st

Hi there, just wondering if somebody may be able to help.

I've a 93vr6 with 78k, and its nearly impossible to select 1st gear, without going to second beforehand.

If the cars stood overnight, then it slips right in in the morning, so to speak!, but even after a short trip, the problems begin.

Could it just be something as simple as a fluid change, and is this called up on any service??

I have exactly the same problem.

I've had it looked at by VW and PD Motorsport - both of which couldn't do much with it.

A fluid change helped a little, but in the end, I just automatically slide into 2nd, then up to 1st now and it's no problem.

A lot of C's have trouble selecting 2nd, so at least we get the benefit of most-likely standing still when trying to select our awkward gear!

on the linkage on gearbox where the cables attach.

our gearboxes are v notchy on the linkage. try it with your hand. it goes up n down on a kinda stepper.

different when its a changing problem like worse when warm.

id check the fluid levels on the box. may as well change it while your there. throw a tube of moly-slip in there with some synthetic gearbox oil n see whats-what. ive heard that 50-50 mixes of gear oil are ok too.

anyone else on gearbox oil choice.

I have this stored on my computer for a while now (got it from the net). Read this, I found it to be acurate & usefull..

Thanks for those (especially Todd!) who helped me with the shifter linkage adjustment. The procedure is really straightforward. History: The car was shifting perfectly until one day when someone whacked my shifter, which made it out of alignment (long story.) Symptoms: The shifter was not centered and shifting from neutral to third is not dead on. (It should shift to third from neutral with VERY little force; you should be able to just slide it to third with your pinky finger.)

Fixes: 1) Gently pull up the shifter console, there are 2 tabs at the bottom which holds the console in place. 2) There are 2 13mm hex bolts in the shifter assembly. I loosened the wrong bolts at first; it should be the bolt that is located on the shifter between the spring levers. 3) Loosen the bolt and adjust the shifter until the side-to-side movement/tension is about equal AND you can slide the shifter DIRECTLY upward from neutral to third gear. Make sure you retighten the bolt for each try. Results: It makes a huge different in shifting!! Shifting to all gears are much more precise like it was before the "incident". If after adjusting the shifter and you still have problems, you will need to adjust the cable. The following are the steps outlined by Todd@AWE: 15.

If further adjustment is required, either have your VW dealer perform the adjustment, or do it yourself. CABLE "A" (Driver side): if pushing down and to the side on the shift lever to go into reverse, and it gets hung up on the reverse lockout, then this cable needs to be adjusted. Note the position of the cable end to the transmission lever on the transmission. Loosen the bolt and slide the cable toward the front of the car in small increments until the lever does not hang up on the reverse lockout. Retighten the bolt to 18ft/lbs. CABLE "B" (Passenger side): if 1st or 5th gears are hard to get into, then this cable must be adjusted. Note position of cable end on transmission lever. Loosen the bolt and slide the cable rearward in small increments for better alignment for 1st gear. Slide the cable forward for 5th gear alignment. Retighten the bolt to 11ft/lbs. Thanks!

Dans advice is spot-on. I had exactly the same symptoms following a clutch change: OK when cold but following a decent run it was impossible to select first without engaging second...first (if you see what I mean). By moving the offside cable linkage at the gearbox end just 2mm rearwards (towards the driver) all is now well.

yes. i had to do this when i changed my clutch slave as it wasn't selecting properly.

what i have found is that it never quite goes back as it was originally.

Thanks for the top gen guys, but i've 1 problem. I presume I need to remove the handbrake trim to get the gear trim out, but I can't see an obvious way of doing it. And I don't want to force anything 'cos I know replacements arn't cheap!!

In my case the only adjustment necessary was at the gearbox end because the linkage had been disturbed when the clutch was changed. I should try that first - it's a 2 minute job. Note that Dan's advice was taken from the US club site so references to 'passenger' and 'driver' sides need to be reversed.