Sign in to follow this  
A20 LEE

Gearbox Strengthening

Just started building a gearbox for my C, basically what uprated parts are available? I'll be fitting a LSD but what else is available as i only want to do this once, going to be putting about 380-400 lb ft through it.

speak to vince and see if he has access to any of the gemini parts still. if not, then you might have to have a word with quaife, or have the internals heat treated.

I doubt it, so long as the bearings used are from a top quality manufacturer you shouldn't have any problems. FAG, SKF, TIMKEN, etc etc.

Also, don't forget a very important part...the lube. I'm running REDLINE MT90 in mine. cost me about £60 to fill the box, but it's still nice and clean and red, doesn't stink either, and makes the shifts nice and smooth.

are you changing the ratios at all? is a 6 speed out of your grasp (probably as much as a turbo conversion!)

I found my receipt from stealth for my box......[whisper so the missus can't hear]£2600!!![/whisper so the missus can't hear] (i need to go contracting again, I'm missing the money :-( )

are you changing the ratios at all? is a 6 speed out of your grasp (probably as much as a turbo conversion!)

I found my receipt from stealth for my box......[whisper so the missus can't hear]£2600!!![/whisper so the missus can't hear] (i need to go contracting again, I'm missing the money :-( )

I'd like 6 speed but yeah, out of my reach. Longer fifth gear would be good though.

5th gear off a golf 3 TDI,gearbox code 'ASD',.71,if you have engine power you'll see 270+km/h,cyro treating the gearsets also is quite effective.

have fun i ripped my quaife apart with 350lb and the quaife box was less then 5 months use on it not good

thanks for that!! :lol:

5th gear off a golf 3 TDI,gearbox code 'ASD',.71,if you have engine power you'll see 270+km/h,cyro treating the gearsets also is quite effective.

nice one. The guys on tex mentioned cyro treating too, i'll have to look into it as i can't afford a second rebuild. Wish i could afford the AP set!

for that kinda money, isn't it worth going MKIV/V golf and adding an LSD to one of the factory 6 speed boxes? I know it's then a bit of arsing about with mounts and driveshafts, but surely it's gotta be cheaper than £3K?!?