Sign in to follow this  
shawshankkid

Thermostat housing.

Hi all, Top hose broke off from the temp sensor housing yesterday afternoon doing 120 mph down a duel carrigeway playing with a wrx. Heart was in my mouth, steam everywhere though i had blown the engine or something. Quite a relief to see it was only the housing plastic that had broken off after i had pulled up. Probably my fault actually as the top hose to the housing started to leak after numerous on off's doing coolant changes, the original clip (the type that you put on and off with pliers) just wouldn't stop leaking so i put on a jubilee clip which i had to tighten right up to stop it from leaking which more than likely weakened it. This happened to anyone else ?..........Can anybody tell me how much one of these is please and anything to know/do while changing it ? (G60 by the way)

Cheers Chris.

So it'd the sensor housing not the thermostat housing?

It's about £15 from VAG an best to by new bolts and O rings as well... the new one may also have an extra outlet at the bottom so make sure they give you the blanking plug and extra O ring and clip... (they should check this but you never know!) also worth changing both sensors as well if they are still original...

If your using the rubber OE hoses then I'd advise going back to the standard VAG clips as they tighten to the correct torque... it's so easy to overtighten a jubilee onto plastic and they go brittle and warp with age so it would have broken it easily..