Sign in to follow this  
aposegil

Big end bearings? on a 8v

Hello guys

Ive got a amte thats got a mkIII which form the sound of it and advice from local mecahinc to him the big end bearings gone as its rattling a bit

does this mean when the big ends go its a goner i.e dead engine or can new bearings be put in and get it runnign again?

check the crank for damage. if its clean get standard shells. if not get it polished or ground and fit oversize. IIRC ECP sell 25.50 oversize shells.

Nah, 10quid for the bearings, get a sump gasket and if you are feeling real flush a set of rod bolts and nuts too.

Total under 50 quid.

Gavin

can u polish it and ground it on the car? or is that a engine out job?

changing the shells form underneath easy enought so that is a posibility

has to be removed to be polished.

do you not have to take the crank out of a 8v to get to the end shells properly?

It would have to have been knocking for a fair while or run without oil to total the crank.

You can re-use the bolts, I did in my G60 with no issues. For the money though it's not worth the trouble. I couldn't get mine as I had it in bits the night before a trackday and had to get it back together.

Gavin

nope like a 16v drop the sump as u can se eit all form there

just have to do one by one and move the crank round as u do it

guys thank you for the advise

is it just a simple knocking and rattling u get when they go ?

My G60 you could only just hear it on a whiff of throttle at 1800-2500 revs. I noticed it most just after setting off from home. There is a set of lights 75 yards away and it wasn't worth changing to second, so I dribbled up to the lights in first.

They were wasted though when I took them out. They are made of soft metal so as to stop the crank getting damaged.

Gavin

cool i think this weekend im going to help him rip the sump off and see the extent of the damage

im guesisng the likes of gsf and vw also do the over sized bearings aswell?

hmm sounds like that could be my problem as well, i thought it was the tappets but changing them hasnt seemed to have helped much.

mine is quiet on tick over and under load but rattles a little on part load.

any idea what the tolerences are for just fitting new shells or getting the crank ground with oversize shells, also is it worth changing anything else while its apart?

You can leave the block in but since you are taking the gearbox out and the sump taking the whole engine will ease things alot. I like taking it off and turn it up.

Dropping the engine is a bit hammer to crack a nut. That would turn an hour job into an all day and night one.

Only need to pull the engine if the crank is damaged.

Gavin