Sign in to follow this  
danp

Brake / PAS fluid mix...I am a muppet...pls advise !

Hi,

I was checking levels etc under the bonnet today and noticed that the brake fluid (I thought) was a little low.

I had a little pot of dot4 handy (for my bike) so topped it up from min to max...

However, after looking in the manual afterwards I have topped up the PAS reservoir not the brake one... :roll: :mad:

Not sure quite why I did this, obviously wasn't thinking straight...should have looked in the manual 1st...

I did a quick google which indicated the dot4 could turn rubber seals etc hard if u use it instead of Dexron, but it could be used in an emergency...

Anyhow, should I drain the PAS fluid out ASAP and put some new "ATF-Dexron" hydraulic fluid in...?

How much fluid is there in the PAS system - i.e. is the dilution not too bad as I only added from min to max ?

Cheers ! Dan

No bleed points so crack the return pipe at the pump and catch it coming out of there. As you top it up it'll pump round. You could just flick the starter with the dissy plug off to stop it firing.

After you fill it, turn the steering lock to lock to work out the air.

Gavin