Sign in to follow this  
zacon

Engine dies when reved

I recently replaced the engine in my Corrado G60. The engine runs fine at idle speed, but when I rev the engine, it almost dies out. I have tried to replace the spark plugs, leads and distributor cap. The distributor cap and rotor was really worn, so I suspect the rotor is causing the problems.

I'm currently running the engine without the compressor. Right now I have the bypass value open. I've read that vacuum leaks may cause this behavior, could it have something to do with the bypass value?

Timing?,fuel flow?(dirty filter),running pressure?,rig up a fuel pressure gauge,i normally attach the gauge's pipe in place of the fuel after run swith as it's close to hand,could also be a tired fuel pump.

The old engine was running nicely (although only on three cylinders). I never heard the new engine running before I bought it.

I suppose it could be the fuel filter or the pressure regulator.

The engine runs; it's not like I never had it on 5000 rpm, so I don't really suspect the timing. It's just really unstable, and misfires frequently, except on idle. At first I suspected I had water floating in the intercooler.

I attacted a picture of the old distributor cap.

I've seen loads of caps like the 1 photoed,it could also be hyd.tappets that are partially blocked giving a missfire,loss of power but not all the time though,normally that only happens when the engine's cold because the oil's denser.

I still haven't figured out what the problem is. I tried to replace the fuel pressure regulator, and the vacuum hose, with apparently no change. I also replaced the rotor.

When driving, everything sometimes work neatly, but all of a sudden, it's like I run out of gas and the engine in running on air. The pedal does nothing. Then, without any warning, the engine sounds like it's running again, and the car accelerates. This happens all the time, so it's it's a nightmare to drive. It helps to gear to a lower gear.

When standing still, the engine runs perfectly on idle, but when I step on the gas, it sometimes almost dies out.

Please help!

Did you clean the fuel filter?

- restricted fuel flow in comparison to a big intake of air (because you've opened the accelerator) will mean you're running weak and it will splutter and die, until you wait a few minutes. Always best to try the cheapest options first (FREE).