Sign in to follow this  
guydean1

Oil leak between engine and gearbox 2.0 16v

Hi,

I have a regular leak of oil now appearing (or collecting) on the bottom of the facings where the engine and gear box meet. I dont think its the oil cooler filter housing as that was repaired a year or so back. I wonder if there is an obvious seal of some sort hidden behind the thin metal plate on the engine side.

I pretty sure its engine oil as the it doesnt smell nutty like gearbox oil.

I also note that there are wet patches appearing all over the top of the engine below the camshaft cover but dont think they are a serious leak and warrant any work as yet.

thanks

Guy

Oil filter o-ring not seated properly?,gearbox's output seal under flywheel?,sump gaskit?,camshaft cover gaskit?,distributer oil seal?.

Jet wash the engine then warm up the engine,maybe you'll be able to see were the oil's seeping out from,Welcome to the forum mate.

That was a quick reply. Well I suspect from that shopping list that its most likely the gearbox output seal under the flywheel. Ill do the de-grease and then get a better assesment.

If it is the output seal, is it a gear box out job?

Complete pain as I am selling in 6 weeks and really dont need a big bill now.

Well it might be 1 of the other things i mentioned,if it does turn out to be that seal then yes,it's a gearbox out job+new flywheel bolts aswell because they are 1 use only,or should be..

Well it might be 1 of the other things i mentioned,if it does turn out to be that seal then yes,it's a gearbox out job+new flywheel bolts aswell because they are 1 use only,or should be..

Well after the clean up and and another wee drive, the leak was from the oil pressure switch on the top of the oil filter housing. It was leaking out the top of the white plastic insulator where the spade terminal is. That was about the easiest and cheapest fix I could have dreamt of. £9.12 and 5 mins with a shifting spanner. Doddle.

Thanks