Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Converting to power steering

Does anyone know what's involved in converting a mk2 Golf 8v to power steering? I should be getting my old car back off my parents when they upgrade so this will become the cheaper runaround. Just got used to the Corrado P/S now so would like to convert if it's not too much work. The car's in pretty good nick so worth abit of investment.

Take it I need the following;

P/S rack - use with original sub-frame
    P/S pipe work and pump - hopefully car already has mounts as it was an option.
    Pulley - not sure where the drive is taken from

Thanks.

Does anyone know what's involved in converting a mk2 Golf 8v to power steering? I should be getting my old car back off my parents when they upgrade so this will become the cheaper runaround. Just got used to the Corrado P/S now so would like to convert if it's not too much work. The car's in pretty good nick so worth abit of investment.

Take it I need the following;

P/S rack - use with original sub-frame
    P/S pipe work and pump - hopefully car already has mounts as it was an option.
    Pulley - not sure where the drive is taken from

Thanks.

your best bet is the Club GTi forum http://www.clubgti.com/forum/default.asp

and a search for the title of your post here through their postings.

also, find a late mk2 GTI or Driver/GL from a scrappy that has it fitted from the factory, then use it for all the bits as a doner car, it's perfectly do-able, but won't be a five minute job and will require dropping the sub frame.

From memory I think you will need an additional pulley on the end of the crank, not just simply a longer belt for the ps pump that goes round the water pump and alternator, again best bet is take a look at a car in the scrappy to see where everything goes.

Also, the 16v has a different rack to the 8v cars, but I think the GTI's, GL's, Drivers etc use the same PS rack.

David.

Cheers, think the donor car will be the way to go as you say. Would be good if the 8v and GL / drivers are all common bits, makes it abit easier to source.