Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Weird "chaffing" noise from front left wheel

Hey guys, I've just started to notice this recently, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, between 2500 and 3000rpm, I hear a noise from the front left wheel what appears to be some chaffing against the wheel. It's not a scraping sound, sounds more like a sound that would come from rubbing 2 pieces of "coarse cloth" together but a louder obviously, I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Any ideas anyone?

Only in those 3 gears ?? If it's related to engine speed rather than to road speed I would have expected it to be in any gear. Does it do it when the car is revved stationary?

Are you sure that it is coming from the wheel/hub? Noises have a habit of coming from somewhere other than where you think. My first guess was maybe a heat shield on the exhaust resonating at certain engine speeds.

Best wishes

RB

I dont completely remember if I even checked in 4th gear or not, but I havent checked while revving stationary.

I'm pretty certain it's from the wheel, a passenger said it sound like its from the front left wheel too.

I'll check in 4th gear and stationary too.

the wing inner liner hasnt come lose has it and check the drive shafts they have a balancer weight thing on them, sometimes this can slide and rub

hth