Sign in to follow this  
bighairymuppet

alternator/waterpump belt, keeps breaking 1.8 16v plz help

alternator/waterpump belt, keeps breaking on my corrado 1.8 16v plz help :shock: :roll: :cry: :cry:

any ideas. anyone had this? It will run for ages (last time was over 3- 4 weeks and then all of a sudden it will break. This is my second new belt.

overtightening? dodgy pulley/ sharp edge on pulley ?

sh*t belt? (its from halfords couldnt get to anywhere else).

rubbing against plastic cover that covers end of engine?

any ideas to stop it happening again? im going to use a wire brush on my pulleys and give them a sand incase its a rough edge.

also how tight should it be? :?:

dont think its waterpump seizing as surely it would seize completely and stop turnig and it seems ok. :?

thankyou in advance

oh and btw those plastic get you home belt are f-ing crap :mad: you can't get them connected and when you do they snap open easy. i think ill try the good old fashioned one and keep a pair of strong winter tights in my car (ooer don't tell the missus lol :oops: ).

ive cleaned the pulleys and made sure theres no rough edges.

theres no play in the pulleys and ive adjusted the belt ill update this post if it snaps or in a month to see if this has stopped the prob.

you must be doin it to tight,should be able to turn the belt 45dgrees without to much trouble

Does that make sense?

and again. :mad: :cry:

def not too tight. theres no play in the pulleys or the engine mounts so it has to be rubbing againsts something as i got a burning smell just before it went argh!!!!

either that or halfrauds belts are sh*te (unable to get one from anywhere else at the mo coz its the only shop open when i can go get one :-()

any ideas people i get the feeling its rubbbing against the end engine cover at times. and thats causing it

If it's rubbing then one of your pulleys must be warped.....or.... idle pulley bearings naffed .....or.... crank pulley is loose.

surely id be able to physically move them if the bearings or pulley was naffed/loose they dont have any play. im curious about warped pulleys though ill need to have a closer look again oh and its not doing it all the time.

back to the drawing board

have now decided to change pulleys after having to use a pair of tights to get home argh!!! will update again if i can get my hands on some any ideas what other cars have the same fitment and pulleys so i can go to my local scrappy and have a hoke?

wanted: looking for cheap pulleys that alt belt goes round. dont need alternator pulley. new or used so long as straight and true

just in case anyone ever has ssame symptoms check the alternator alignment as although it did not look off to the eye or anything it was very slightly off (we are talking mm here) and this is what was causing it to snap. just for anyone lese who has this prob ive now been running 3 months

+ without fault