Sign in to follow this  
Gman

1.8 16V keeps cutting out

Hi Guys,

I hope some one can help me out here as I don’t know what to next.

Here is the problem; It started on my trip back down the Milton Keynes after Xmas. I was on the M6 and I pulled off at a services, as I slowed down for the roundabout at the off ramp the car just died ( sounded like fuel starvation ). I tried to start it again but I could only hear the solenoid clicking, the motor never turned over. Lucky it was downhill to the services, so I coasted down and pulled into a lay-by. While coasting I tried a few times to bump start it but it was having none of it. When sat in the lay-by I tried to start it again but noticed that the fuel pump was not priming its self as it usually does. Looked at the fuel pump fuse (number 18 ) but it was fine. Checked all the other fuses and found the 10A fuse (fuse number 15 ) for the engine electronics had gone. So I replaced the fuse and the pump primed its self. Tried to start again still no life in the starter. Bump started it and it ran. I drove 500 meters and it died again. Same fuse. I had a look behind the fuse box and all seemed to be in order. Looked in the engine bay for any wires that had come loose or anything strange, all seemed fine.

Now as I had run out of 10A fuses now and only had a 15A fuse left I got the fire extinguisher ready on the seat next to me and plugged the 15A fuse in and tried again. All seemed fine. I drove 62 miles home on the M6 M1 and local roads. I got home but the starter was still bust. So I pulled the motor off and had a look. I would seem that it is just a sticky started as every now and again it will turn over and start.

Anyway so I got the car running again and decided that I really should go and buy some 10A fuses to put back into fuse 15. On my way to the shops the 15A fuse blew.

Now I am at a loss for what to do. I don’t understand what could be causing this. Does any one know any simple checks I can do to, or quick fixes?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Car is a 1.8 16v from 1990

It is pretty much standard.

I believe that the fuel pump relay is controlled by the FEI unit, which is supplied by fuse 15. It would stand to reason that when fuse 15 blew the fuel pumps would not run.

I'm wondering if your starter motor and fuse 15 blowing problems are related. Did both problems appear at the same time?

If so I would definitely be looking for a poor earth connection around the engine bay area.

Well that is the big question.

I have no idea what it is supplying. I am going to go out tomorrow and see if I can trace some wires. The worst part of all is I have to do all this without my trusty multimeter which I conveniently left in Manchester

FEI unit ?? what is that

Yeah both started at the same time. I have been think this for a while now but i cant see how they can be.

I think it stands for 'Fully Electronic Ignition' unit. It's the big ECU-looking black box below the windscreen on the passenger side of the scuttle panel (for RHD cars). It controls the ignition system and the fuel pumps.

ok.

What do you recomend i try first. My main problem is that i cant repeat the fault at will. I just have to drive and hope it doesnt cut out at a bad time. This is also compounded by the starter motor issue as when it does cut out it is not very easy to get restarted.

The engine-chassis resistance test would be my starting point as it's free!

Basically, I'd concentrate on the starter motor problem as it's likely to be the easiest to trace. If you can get the starter motor to work reliably and fuse 15 still keeps blowing then we'll look at that one later. I'm pretty sure they're related.

As the fuse blows while the car is being driven I'd be more inclined to think you have a problem with the fuel pump circuit (or anything else on that fuse).

The starter problem sounds a usual valver snag, I've known it several times, especially with non vag replacement units, and treat it as separate problem as the starter supply wiring is quite separate to the fuel delivery system.

Anyway, I'd have a look under the car and check the pump wiring hasn't been damaged, and also meter the current being drawn for starters (sorry, no pun intended), either at the pump or at the fusebox.

Yep I am inclined to agree the starter problem is seperate. I shorted the solinoid out and it still would not turn over.

I am not sure that is the fuel pump circut tho as the fuel pump fuse is not blowing. it is the engine electronics fuse that is going. From what i understand the fuel pump is turned on by a relay which is controled by the FEI unit. And it would seem that the FEI unit is conected to fuse 15. So at first glance i thought it was the fuel pump but that is just a result of the FEI going down.

Does anyone know anything about the FEI. Comon problems???

Ok, As i dont have a multimeter at the mo, The best i was able to do is clean up all the earth terminals. so the Bat is making good contact with both the chassis and the startermotor. I also pulled the fuel pump relay out and opend it up. It all looks fine in there. All nice and clean.

I am still at a loss for what to do.

Spoiler is on fuse 16 on my car.

The fuel pump circut is fine that is fuse 18. It is the engine electronics fuse that is going. from what i understand there are a number of things running through fuse 15. The main onw that i can see is the FEI. I dont know how to check this? Also does anyone have a wiring diagram of the 1.8 16V. I know there is no haynes man for it but thought some one might have been able to get hold of one.

The bigest question could cause the fuse to blow? ( I think it is safe to say that it will not bee anything to do with the fuel pump... Correct me if i am wrong pls)

So to trace the problem I need to know everything that gets power from fuse 15. Does any one know?

Or does anyone know of a cheap auto electrition that has work on C's before and knows what he is doing? maybe in the MK area.

The closest thing I have to a Corrado wiring diagram is in the Mk2 Golf Haynes manual. I'm not sure how much of it is the same as the Corrado so I'll check it against my car.

Come on some one must have some ideas.

Does anyone know which components are on circuit 15.

So far I have:

ECU

Warm up regulator

ISV ( possibly)