Sign in to follow this  
footballer

Cooling fan works intermident

Hey people new on the forum.

I have a 93 vr6 here's the thing:

Im driving along and the temp will operate normal, 1st fan operates temp drops...As I drive longer it will operate normally untill I get into a traffic area...at this point while idle the temp will rise half way, then just as it rises past it either gets up to bout 100 and the duel fan will come on and bring things to normal. It will then operate normally untill this happens again.....Couple of weird facts if i have my heat defrost on, the 1st stage fan will not come on at all, as it gets hotter i then shut it off and both fans will come on....However if i never turn the heat on and leave it off, it will operate normally untill it does what i mentioned above....Complicated but any suggestions or experiences with that .. thanx

You can test the thermo-switch by unplugging it (it's the sensor half way down the radiator on one side). With the ignition on, bridge between red and one of the other wires (on the plug!), the fan should come on. Then bridge between red and the remaining wire - fan should come on at a different speed.