Sign in to follow this  
IainT

Problems with a radiator

[align=left]

I have a couple of issues with my 95 VR6 radiator (No aircon) 83K No accidents or meetings with wildlife.

First off there is a hole in it, not good. Is this common? I am trying to get it back on the road asap and without paying stealer prices (£240). Volkapart do an alternative for £120 or a re-core by a radiator company for £100ish. Anyone have experience of this? Why is a Golf VR6 rad only £70? Can I have the login details to the VW parts club so I can contact them?

When some of the coolant got on to the Ignition leads at the distributor the engine would misfire and miss out cylinders.A small spark on the outside of the insulation on the end of the lead could be seen. Is this due to the coolant only or knackered leads / Distributor?

A bit un related but I have a K & N induction kit fitted for a glorious noise. But recently learned that the filter may not be a good idea. Oil getting on the MAF sensor or too much hot air. What is the opinion on this subject, drilled standard air box( instructions on this forum ) or the induction kit? I do have the cold air duct fitted.

Lastly, anyone know of a good alloy refurbisher in Aberdeenshire?

Thanks alot

[align=left]

I have a couple of issues with my 95 VR6 radiator (No aircon) 83K No accidents or meetings with wildlife.

First off there is a hole in it, not good. Is this common? I am trying to get it back on the road asap and without paying stealer prices (£240). Volkapart do an alternative for £120 or a re-core by a radiator company for £100ish. Anyone have experience of this? Why is a Golf VR6 rad only £70? Can I have the login details to the VW parts club so I can contact them?

When some of the coolant got on to the Ignition leads at the distributor the engine would misfire and miss out cylinders.A small spark on the outside of the insulation on the end of the lead could be seen. Is this due to the coolant only or knackered leads / Distributor?

A bit un related but I have a K & N induction kit fitted for a glorious noise. But recently learned that the filter may not be a good idea. Oil getting on the MAF sensor or too much hot air. What is the opinion on this subject, drilled standard air box( instructions on this forum ) or the induction kit? I do have the cold air duct fitted.

Lastly, anyone know of a good alloy refurbisher in Aberdeenshire?

Thanks alot

AFAIK the golf vr6 radiator will be a different size/shape

and i'm afraid only VWCCGB members can get access to the VW parts club site

you should have the "infamous" coil-pack on your age of VR,so by the sounds of it,its started to play-up(btw this isn't subject to the recent "recall" that VW have ongoing)

i have a modded airbox with a K&N panel filter in it and it gives just about the same noise as an induction kit......i'm in Cove bay so if you want to have a look at the modded airbox then just drop me a PM on here.........also there is a club-gti meet at the "brewers fayre",bucksburn this sunday at 2pm-ish and a few of us Corrado-owners will be there,you are more than welcome to come along and say hi

as for alloys,well if its the original speedlines that you are needing refurbed,then if you PM ess_three(also in aberdeenshire) on this forum he has 5 completey minted speedlines for sale for around £250(no tyres)these have been refurbed(by Coatech,Carnoustie) to a very high standard and 1 was "brand-new" and the other 4 were off a 17k mile "write-off",cos otherwise you could be looking at spending near £50 per wheel getting your existing ones refurbed

I did put up list of parts in servicing with all the parts club prices... Unforunatly the Rad is no longer on there but the last one I had listed the VR6 rad for the corrado at £70 as well, maybe worth calling the dealer again and asking for a discount

Thanks to everyone for there advice.

This parts club £70 radiator is most illusive. It is the most desirable due to being a VAG product but the GSF will be ordered soon.

I have read the adive on repairs to the coilpack using epoxy glue (Araldite). How long does this last for?

Thanks again

Iain