Sign in to follow this  
JimSTORM

Help me start my car!!

Went out to try and jump start my 16v as its been sat for a while and has a flat battery.

Connected it up and all i got was the bloody alarm going off non stop, i couldnt turn it off or get the car to turn over. So i have now had in on trickle charge for a few hours and went to start it again and still the alarm just sounds again.

So any ideas. my ears are ringing and i cant think straight.

Cheers.

I cant even activate the central locking now

Had something similar the other week. wait till the battery is fully charged or jump start it.

Alarm wont let it start if it thinks the battery has been tampered with or there is not full charge,

yeah water could be a problem as i think the drains are blocked and its a bit damp.

But anyway i got it started today and took it for a drive whist having the alarm blasted out around town.. Got some pretty dodgy looks. The alarm fob wont disarm it basically, i might try and change some fuses.

Oh and when the alarm does go off, only the right hand side of the lights flash, or the indicators, which is strange.

yeah water could be a problem as i think the drains are blocked and its a bit damp.

Feel free to ignore my suggestion, but sarcasm is not required.

You said your car had been sat for a while, but didn't say how long. Last time mine sat in heavy rain for a few days, it wouldn't start easily. It also ran badly for the first few miles. Since I replaced the leaky windscreen & the bottom window gasket on the driver's door, it's been fine. My point was that water in the electrics can cause unusual behaviour and the fact that the car had sat for a while made me wonder if this was the case.

Best of luck finding the cause.

Cheers,

Briggy

Feel free to ignore my suggestion, but sarcasm is not required.

No really! the drains on the bonnet are blocked and the car is more than a bit damp. no sarcasm. Any suggestions about for clearing all that gunk out. cant seem to get in those little holes.

But seriously Briggy, no sarcasm, i apreciate all suggestions.

Ok mate. I misread your reply and thought you were having a bit of a pop at me. I feel a bit red faced now!

Anyway, my problem was caused by water getting in, so once I fixed that, it went away. I also opened all the doors and left it in the hot sun (last summer) for nature to take its course. I'm not really sure what specific course of action to suggest, but I guess you could hunt for any sitting water and make sure its drainage path is clear.

Let us know when you get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,

Briggy