Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

valve guide removal

just a quick one...wanted to know how easy it was to remove/refit the valve guides, as i'm currently porting and polishing a 16v head and i can't get around the valve guides very well.

I've just finished doing the same job on my G60-16V corrado,remove the old stem seals ,possibly using special pliers designed for that purpose,put the head in a vise using the timing tensioner's stud then make up a punch/guide like mine(i'll post up photos),i used an old turbocharger wastegate actuator rod,a spare bolt that locates the G-charger's tensioner,old piston pin.2 13mm nuts,hit the guides out of the head from the camshaft side into the ports,reverse the procedure when finished,be carefull,BEFORE removing the guides measure the height that they protrude into the head,mine were 10mm from the bottom of head were the valve spring washer sits to the shoulder were the seal sits,this is very important because if,like me you forget to check,the followers will hit the seals and destroy them,you won't know even if you check by turning the cams to check.

Mine were only 2mm higher than the normal 10mm,i can assure you,the car drank oil like a bastid and mashed all 16 guide seals,also,there's no need to heat the head,you could also use a hyd press but how does 1 remove the inlets,seeing as there slanted at an angle??

Here you go,try making something similer to knock out the guides,remember to oil the valve guides before tapping them back into the head.