Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Cutting out in neutral?

My valver is cutting out when slowing up in traffic, seems to happen when revs drop going into neutral, battery light comes on flashing most of the time and occasionally it cuts out.

Would this be my alternator? Or fuel pump perhaps?

My ISV and air pipes are fairly fresh as is my TB and dizzy.

do you no anybody with a 16v golf or corrad. id try swoping the ISV and just try that. does the engine bog and die, cut out all of a sudden or slowly come to a stop.

Might be able to get a 2.0 16V ISV but not sure if they are the same as the 1.8.

Its more of a Bog and die cutout than a sudden cut out, its fine when revved out of gear it mainly happens when out of gear going down the revs from say 3 to 1st gear at traffic lights.

It cuts out every so often, it runs very low revvs tho around 500rpm before it kicks back up to 800-1000 all of the time.

I take it the battery is fine though?

Does the car re-start immediately?

ISV sounds a good idea ; sounds more petrol related. However, can you tell when its going to stall? Are you able to dip the clutch and rev it hard to keep it alive?

Surely when changing from 3rd to 1st, it will cough, but letting the clutch out in 1st I presume it keeps going, as if you'd bump started???

Otherwise just check all fuel hoses etc are ok. Then seek further help... sorry I can say more

Does the car re-start immediately?

Are you able to dip the clutch and rev it hard to keep it alive?

Surely when changing from 3rd to 1st, it will cough, but letting the clutch out in 1st I presume it keeps going, as if you'd bump started???

It restarts fine no problem there, its possible to rev it when i dip the clutch but as I said im usually slowing down so its pretty tricky toe and healing it to keep up the rpm.

I usually let is run low rpm in 2nd or 3rd in order to keep up rpms in 1st on downshift coming up to a stop that way its not bumping it. If I just throw down the clutch in 2nd or 1st and coast up to lights it will more than likely cut out.

The problem is not a dead battery then. The dizzy cap must be fine. Its not the fuel filter as the problem would be opposite to this.

So you're getting low revs or too much fuel when in neutral. One waay of knowing if you're running too ritch and drowning your plugs is to do a plug-chop. Drive hard and then cut the engine; inspect hot little plugs and check the colour/smell.

Are you able to tweak the idle revs up a tad??? Does it still do the same thing???

My idle revvs are currently 1000 but as I said they drop under 500 when this happens its more than likely running rich.

My MPGS are not that bad tho avg about 21-25mpg