Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Replacing Indicator Stalk

Hello again, mechanical numpty here!

Got a prob with indicators sometimes not working (its on another thread in this area). Basically, I've bought a new indicator stalk off ebay (£18, brand new VW! 8) ). The only trouble is, I've no idea how to swap em out as its like a complete unit as opposed to just a stalk which I expected.

I've bought a new cowl for the steering column, so I'll be removing that anyway, just wondered how I swap this out? Steering wheel off? Quick step by step would be great as I am a mechanical novice! (At least, for now! :) )

Cheers

Right, im doin this from memory and while im at work so heres hopin im not missin anything out.

Take off the steering wheel, to do this prise off the horn cover and then undo the massive nut behind it, i think its a 30mm or 26mm, pretty big.

Once the wheels off you can take off the column shrounds, 2 phillips head screws on each side, quite recessed and very fiddly but persevere.

You should now pretty much be able to see what your doin now, head on there are 3 long screws that hold the indicators on, undo them and unplug them, 4 big multi plugs if i mind right, once all thats apart the stalks will slide off.

Replace the guff one with the one you bought and re fitting is the reverse of removal ('mon mannie haynes :))

Go for it man, its not hard at all, just keep your head together and think about it

Nice one cheers! I'll give it a go!

I can just picture me driving down the road, chuffed to bits after fitting it, then watching the steering wheel come off in my hands!

Arrrrrrrgh!

should be thankful that the steering wheel isn't sprung loaded like a nova, i was once taking off my wheel and it hitting me in the face!

should be thankful that the steering wheel isn't sprung loaded like a nova, i was once taking off my wheel and it hitting me in the face!

I think thats what you get for owning a nova :lol:

I think thats what you get for owning a nova :lol:

HAHA !! :D