Sign in to follow this  
argee320

2.0 16v misfire/hesitation

Hi all, never tried this before, but here goes. Got a 94 2.0 valver, fsh (vw til last Oct), two, same family, owners from new til me and the strife in December last, 81k miles, nearly mint.

So, its developed a sort of hesitation at 30-40 mph, more of an inability to maintain a given speed between 30 and 40 for a given throttle position if you see what I mean. In other words if you get the car to 30 and try to keep it there it on the throttle it very gradually loses power and jerks very slightly.

Anyhoo it decided to throw a very definate misfire into the mix at very autobahn speed today.

Runs a bit hot I think, 117-120c (although if I cycle through the MFA functions back to Oil Temp it can vary by as much as 15c) and has s**t fuel economy, 26.5mpg absolute tops.

Tried STP additive in case injectors were s**tbound, no real difference, had one total power loss, from cold, in traffic, day after adding it to a full tank, nothing since.

C seems to lack a bit powerwise by comparison to our old 8v mk2 flog git, and certainly against my 03 A3 2.0 TDi which at 140 ps shouldnt be far off the old C, even allowing for the difference in torque and characteristics.

Apparrently had new fuel filter last service and new middle and backbox inc. catastrophic converter last year.

Over to you.

Poor running and heavy fuel consumption are often Lambda-probe related. Start by checking the wiring to that as it wouldn't be the first time an exhaust fitter has knackered one. However, the engine only runs on Lambda control when it's warm, so if you've got the same problem when it's cold it's likely to be something else.

My friend's 2.0 16v Corrado also runs noticeably hotter than my 1.8. I see maximum water and oil temperatures of 100 and 98 degrees respectively this time of year. Hers is more like 110 and 114, although I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in the gauges.