Sign in to follow this  
gareth231

G60 engine rebuild questions

Hi, Wonder if any one could help, I recently brought a g60 engine which I was planning on rebulding, Ive found that the head has got a crack in it, and 1 of the bores isnt to great. Pistons etc are fine through

A mate has got a 8v gti engine that I can have for free, are the blocks and head the same on these engines??

any info much appreciated

The blocks are definitely different, the G60 block has an oil feed on the front of the block for the charger and also other differences in the casting on the front of the block for breathers or something like that.

I thought the PB 8v and PG G60 heads were the same except for the PG exhaust valves were sodium filled? And the cams are obviously different. If that was the case you could swap over the valves and cam from the cracked head. Maybe someone could confirm whether or not this is the case.

But PG heads are easy enough to pick up anyway without resorting to messing around with a PB one to make it work.

geo - thanks for the info, im guessing the sodium valves are used due to the extra heat generated

Basically im building the engine for a mk1 golf which will be getting turbo charged, did turbo technics do a conversion for the 8v gti engine? Would it be possible to get an oil feed from the oil pressure sensor? ie tap into it, for a feed to the turbo (similar to a rs turbo engine) cheers for info / help

I am not sure about the turbo technics thing, I suppose you could take an oil feed from the oil temp/pressure sensor. I know the 1.6 turbo diesel engine uses the same oil filter housing as the GTI and takes the oil feed for the turbo from where the temp sensor goes in the GTI.

I don't know too much about 8v turbo applications, the only 8v turbo engine I personally know anything about was built by a mate and is based on a G60 block. It is definitely the best block to use as apart from the extra oil feed point it also already has the low comp pistons in it and also has oil jets to cool under the pistons that the standard 8v block does not have.