Sign in to follow this  
craig 1010cc

temp guage reading high

Hello all.

I've just brought my first corrado (a 91 16v) and I've got a question.

on the way back from collecting it the temp guage stayed at a constant 110 deg C! It made no diference if I was gently cruising around town or a steady 80 down the motorway. I checked the fan was working (it was).

I checked this morning and the coolant is at max (looks as clean as you can tell from stock header tank :D ), the oil looks clean and there was no mess under the filler cap and it had driven fine yesterday. When I set off in it this morning (outside temp at 6 deg C), with in 30 sec's and 200 yards it was allready reading 90 deg C and after about 2 miles or so of town driving. I'm thinking that the temp sender is shafted. Any thoughts?

Also the heater is kicking out hardly any heat. Is the valve thingy on the heater inlet the most likely fault (had the same issue in my old Mk2 golf gti)

Last question, will the 1800 16v'srun ok on normal unleaded or do they have to run on super (as per the owners manual).

Cheers

Craig

Last question, will the 1800 16v'srun ok on normal unleaded or do they have to run on super (as per the owners manual).

Unless already modified, they run on Super. Later 16v 2.0ltr were made to run on normal 95RON unleaded.

The temp sender may be one possibility. The other may be a partly open stuck thermostat if the sender does not correct it.

Yeah, some 16v will, manufacturing tolerances etc.

Both Roccos I have are 98RON. One won't run on 95RON while the other did for 3 years until I had to replace the piston rings. Now it won't again.

The book says 98 Ron but try ordinary 95 unleaded as the one we have doesnt pink,the odd drop of optimax doesnt do any harm though !

just try and see if it pinks is best advice

Cheers for the info, I'm convinced it must be the temp sender as the oil temp is staying well below the indicated water temp. Talking to Paul (the last owner) he recons it always has done it and he thought it was normal! He also used to run it on 95 ron with no probs so I'll give it a whirl.

Craig