Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

Insurance claim question

Unfortunatly I had someone in a Range Rover drive into the rear of my Corrado yesterday morning. :cry: (I'll get some piccies up in a bit)

Its caused quite a bit of damage but my ins.comp. have already said that they will repair it, as it is totally the other guys fault. The thing is, I've got aftermarket rear lights on and havnt told the ins.comp. about them. As a result of the accident, they are damaged. I'm not overly concerned about this, as I have Legal cover which will get me the cost of any uninsured losses back but my question is this: Should I try and claim for the lights ordinaraly thru the ins.comp. first, or just tell the legal peeps about em?

Other damage is the bumper has been cracked, the big bit of bodywork between the bumper and boot is caved in, in 2 places, and broken away at the side, and the boot lid itself is bent out of shape, creased in 2 places wont shut properly and has itself caused damage to the ruber seal around the boot. My exhaust now rattles, and for some strange reason ive now got a big oil leak......

hmm, 2 options, you either let your insurers know that they're fitted or plead ignorance [they were on when you bought car, you thought they were standard]

Tbh, i'd prob go route one. I doubt there is a price difference between aftermarket lights and what VW would charge for hella units.. so fitting them should have no effect on your insurance whatsoever. only problem is the risk of them saying you shouldve already told them.

route two, you plead ignorance, and when the car comes back with genuine lights, ask why they look differant!

TBH, it sounds like for the damage caused they may be looking at a write off?

I'm afraid that doesn't make a difference. If the value of the car is less than the repair bill I'm 100% sure they'll write the car off. The insurance value of a Corrado is very low and the parts are quite expensive. Prepare yourself for the worst :(

Aye mate, i was on about it nearer to last xmas, bcstudent, told me the exact same thing. Even though the damage wasnt THAT bad, like bcstudent said parts are pricey. The rear bumper alone could be 300 from VAG. Is the floor plan in the boot bent?

I was lucky enough to be able to do the work myself where pos instead of it getting wrote off. The chances are they'll write it off as Corrado prices are low. Scandalas i know, especially when its not your fault.

Let us know how you get one mate.

agree with BC doesnt matter who`s fault it`ll get written off if the repair is too much, my G/F needed new rear bumper, back panel, grill and other little bits........£1200work = write off!!!!

:cry:

if worst case you wont be able to buy it back to break?! sorry dude!

perhaps i should have been a little more clear. The ins comp have already said that it dont matter, they will fix it! :)

Anyway, thats slightly off topic, anyone got any advice for my original question?

£3300 WOW. my first corrado had that amount of damage... well actually could have been more but the garage stopped when it got that high. Unfotunately it got wrote off :(

as stated elsewhere, theyve now given me the option to write her off, which i think i will do, buy her back, and then either sell the bits that ive got, or fix her myself, and then sell her on.

Just out of interest, does anyone know how much it costs to re-register a car once its been a Cat-D (?) write off?