Sign in to follow this  
kevg60

possible headgasket gone again

hi got my first corrado g60 just over a month ago 2 weeks l8tr the waterpump and headgasket went got it fixed at local garage it was running fine then last nite it over heated again and rac man reckons hgasket gone anyone got any ideas what could be causing this

any help would be appriciated

if your local garage didnt do a proper job and didnt get the head skimmed.

but it could be loads of things like what about the termostat could me sticking every so often, have you checked that you fans is working??

Hi.

Not had my 60 long. In its service history are recipts for 2 previous head gasket jobs. Neither mention a skim. My car overheated and dumped my coolent. Gasket had gone at No1 pot. head needed to be skimmed. Cost £30 for that and £270 for the full headset including a metal head gasket and work to be done.

No trouble at all since..

Mindyou pleanty of other stuff to do. Seems if these cars have been owned by people not really interested in em the end up needing work in many areas :lol:

when the car overheated first time how long did you run it for how if you no what i mean. If its got too hot then the head is has probably warped and needs skimming

Head won't necessarily need skimming - be careful if it does as thicker head gaskets are not available for G60's. Every time the head is skimmed, the compression ratio increases.

Did they use a metal or paper composite head gasket ?

G60's should all have metal head gaskets - do not use the composite type.

The trick is to work out why the head gasket failed in the first place & cure that fault before rebuilding the engine.

Head won't necessarily need skimming - be careful if it does as thicker head gaskets are not available for G60's. Every time the head is skimmed, the compression ratio increases.

Did they use a metal or paper composite head gasket ?

G60's should all have metal head gaskets - do not use the composite type.

The trick is to work out why the head gasket failed in the first place & cure that fault before rebuilding the engine.

Agreed.

and agreed again...

Although upping the C/R on a G60 isn't always a bad thing if you're planning on more power and a custom re-map anyway... ;) :twisted: If not though, be careful how much they need to skim it... 8)