Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Milltek Race cats and S3 wishbones fitted

Not strictly Corrado related, but you may be interested.

The downpipe on the mk4 was blowing horrendously. I'd caught one side of it with the exhaust headers when I was dropping out the 3.2 lump. anyway, it split on my last month and has been getting worse since and had become unbearably loud.

I decided to borrow the 2 post lift at work and take the opportunity to change the subframe (it was bent) and also upgrade the steering rack, wishsbones and hubs to TT/S3/R32 spec. Steering rack is quicker ratio and has thicker tie rods, wisbones are cast, hubs have slightly different geometry, the tie rods go in from undermeath to resolve bump steer issues on lowered cars and bigger bottom ball joints.

fitted an Audi 3.2 TT downpipe. went straight on. went to fit the 4 motion cats (insert Family Fortunes derived sound effect here) no go....flanges different. oh dear...

But, it just so happened that I had a pair or Milltek race cats sat in the garage that I'd been saving for the corrado. the only way I was going to get the car back on the road for Monday (daily driver) was to fit those. which I did.

got it all together and WOW!!! it rasps like a bloody rally car!!! it really does sound like an M3 CSL, I'm over the moon!!!

had a few issues with the geometry being a mile out, set it by eye for now, but who cares when it sounds that good!

fixed the poxy ABS fault too, so I now have some proper 4wd action going on. (which of course I just had to test on the gravel car park at work, 3 huge donuts was all the testing it needed to make me do this ----> :lol:

almost a happy chappy (for once...)

Paul .... using a happy smiley .... ? And a post without a swear word .... ?

Must be drugs.

:lol:

Glad to hear you found a down pipe mate. Good work. I have the joy of doing my steering rack next weekend, but no 4 post lift. :(

Jay

I'd have never got it all done at home on the drive.

That's it, I'm definitely digging a pit in the garage now. it's SOOOOO much easier.