Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Using Oil (and now whats this and why ? )

Well this morning on a long drag back from Austria to Germany I got the shock of my life on a mountain road as the oil light came on accompanied by a nice buzzer sound (Why that's not connected to the lights if you leave them on is above me) Still.. had no pil with me (silly me) so had to take it easy for another 20 minutes till I got to the nearest gas station. Bought myself some nice oily stuff, and did a check.

Well in the end I had to put in about 2L of the good stuff to get it within marks again. This is not good as about 3 weeks ago it was checked and was fine. I also noticed a nice oily patch on the mechanics directly benith where the filler cap is. Between the charger and head. This is not from overrun or bad pouring as the engine was nice and clean (well cleanish) a few weeks back.

Can't get to take a picture right now... need a second hand to help me get the bonet open (don't ask)..

But wanted to ask if anybody knows what this might be. It's in next week with a VAG engineer (not on VAG time though) so good time to get this sorted.... Any ideas ? hope it's not really bad.... :roll:

Are there any traces of Oil in your water???

Ok silly question, but how would I check that ?

Not that I can seeing as I can't get my bonet open.... *sighs*

Right.. well finally got the bonet open (recurring issue)...

Took a picture of the leak..... although it's cleaned up you cans ee the marks where it's been leaking over time.

10005942hi.th.jpg

Also found 2 other worrying things....

1) What looks like an earth from the top of the engine to.. well nowhere.. Any idea where this attached oringally..

10005926eb.th.jpg

2) After finding the earth I had a little look about for things... found this connector which looks like it has been replaced by spade conenctors. The spades are rusted and the connectors aren't holding in anymore. Just loose. Can't really see that in the picture. But any idea what this is as well ?

10005996nd.th.jpg

We should make a game of this... "spot what's fallen off my engine now".... no prizes for the winner except my thanks though I'm afaid ;)

That earth should be attached to one of the bolts holding on the coil iirc, but if you earth it to any part of the body it should be ok.

The oil leak looks like the rocker cover gasket is leaking, quick, cheap and easy to fix.

The last picture is the connector for the lambda probe. Mine has fallen apart and is held on with connectors just like that as well.

How about a spot of German translation as my prize? :D Having a bit of trouble dealing with a german ebayer at the moment ;)

I'd love to, but seeing as I've been here for 6 weeks myself, I doubt I can help more than "Ah, dass ist sehr gut danke"

Thanks for the info....

Mines not help on with connectors anymore though. Just help on with gravity :roll: still gives me a chance to find the connector on ETKA though ;)

I'll have somebody look at the head gasket / rocker cover gasket and pray for the best.

Ok no worries mate.

I edited my post above cos after looking at the oil leak again it looks to be the rocker cover gasket, so you should be able to sort it out ok.