Sign in to follow this  
dubweiser

Fuel leak.....rather worried

Hi my 2l 16v has been stinking of fuel under the car and on further inspection it seems to have developed a leak around the fuel pump area.It seems to be coming from one of the "screws" that are arond what seems to be a "ring" that holds the pump in.Am i right to assume that this is just a plastic housing?Do i have to replace the whole pump or can i buy a new housing?Its kind of worrying and im not sure how this assembly is put together.Is it all in one or can i buy bits seperately?Thanks in advance.Ive parked it up at the minute cos it absolutely stinks!!!

You can buy just the housing if necessary - it's about £35-40 from the dealer. The three screws are there to secure a big, green O-ring in place and they only need to come undone slightly to allow quite a sizable fuel leak from the O-ring seal. It's quite common for that to happen as they screw straight into the plastic with a very coarse thread. I would (and have in the past) have a go at tightening them before you invest in a new housing...unless you're feeling rich!

The three screws are likely to be rusted to buggery though.

Cheers for the swift reply mate.You are right.The screws seem rusted to hell.I think this is why the leak has occured...it seems to be coming out of one of the screw heads or possibly a crack in the plastic sealing ring.Thanks for the diagram.At least i am a bit wiser now on how the housing is made up.Do u mind me asking where u got this diagram?Is it a program u have?Does it have a breakdown of other bits for the corrado aswell cos it looks a very handy thing to have.

Cheers again for the advice.Dont have a clue how im gonna get the screws out and replace!!!!!

I have access to a VW parts database called ETOS. I'm not sure of the difference between ETOS and the alternative 'ETKA'. The ETOS database that I use covers all VW models up to 2005 and contains exploded diagrans of just about all (if not all) of the entire car. You're right about it being a handy resource though.

I'll be surprised if the leak is coming from one of the screws to be honest, but I guess anything's possible.