Sign in to follow this  
aposegil

16v or VR6 gearbox for 20v engine?

Hello all especially u gearbox gods :D

which one would be best on a 20v engine? i know the VR will hav different bell housing but that can be changed but ratio wise which one worth it?

or is it best to open up both and use a combo of both gearboxes?

thank you in advance

First off, define what you want out of the engine, good road speed, long ratios for cruising, or shorter ones for sprinting?

I do know that the box that is regarding as the best for conversions (when done in a MK2) for a good comparision to the ratios of a MK2 16v road box is that of a MK3 16v - this is a cable change box that has a 3.6 FD and the same individual ratios as that of a VR box. Essentially this gives reasonable sprinting ratios, whilst still giving a reasonable cruising aspect as well.

But like I said, it depends on what you want.....

well i have the 1.8 16v gearbox off my old setup which ive been told identical to the mkIII 16v

as for what i want i guess best of both worlds I know when i used to have the 2.1 16v with and without supercharger i was happy with it but as i have thisw VR box sitting there aswell ive read in the past some people going for them i thought i would ask

List up your gearbox code for the 1.8 16v box, and if no-one does it before this evening I'll look it up on ETKA so you can see what it is like in comparison to a VR box and also a MK3 16v box

with a bigger turbo and around 350hp you may be better off with the vr box.

not to up on boxes but i reckon a vr 1st n second followed by the valve 3 and 4 and a vr 5th may be good if possible. may make a better cruiser with the 5th

If your loking for a real sprinter i believe hte 8valve C had lower ratios than all the others. Thats why the 0-60 looks so shite cos theres an extra gear change in there cos it wont hit 60 in 2nd....

its a myth. long gears make better 1/4 miles cars/sprinters. less changes and in the case of a turbo more time in boost. reason why the top us vw cars that run sub 10 are autos

thats true about the longer gears

my mate got a uno turbo and he using cogs out a lancia to extend the time he is in each gear

also stop the wheels spinning up s quickly so you can put more boost on earlier

the engine should be about 300-350 so i guess ill go for the vr one then :D