Sign in to follow this  
lukeage

Tommy S

Whilst the C is in having some spray work and dinks worked on i got hold of a Cooper S for few days.

My first thoughts were 'oh dear' someone should be shot for coming up with that dash design. Drove it off and not to impressed, driving position felt like i was in routemaster after being in the rado for awhile.

Next i hit some bendys on the way out of town and got to play a bit and push the charger and i must say raised a few smiles and a few hairs on the back of my neck.

Anyone else had a blat in one?

had a go in one on a driving day at goodwood. I thought it was a barrel of laughs, just enough grunt, and suprisingly good traction for a fwd car........not bad brakes either!

didn't like it. Small and cramped inside; midgets only in the back. Noisy and couldn't see one being able to see off a VR. And how much does the S cost - think what else you could buy... Purely a posers car, only women drive them around here - which is a lot, say every 6th car - sorry!

One of my mates used to have a MINI Cooper S Works, pretty damn good wee car! I agree with the 'midgets only in the back' comment, and parts of the dash are a bit flimsy, but it's a cracking engine and they handle quite well.

A Cooper S Works wouldn't see off a VR either (he tried!), but there wasn't much in it. :)

Mate of mine used to have a regular Cooper S.. fairly quick little thing but I found the interior just too plasticy, thought it was WAY too expensive, and the boot was almost a complete waste of time.. barely enough room for a packet of crisps. That whiny supercharger just gets on your nerves too.. I couldn't imagine driving that any more than 100 miles without it driving me insane.

didn't like it. Small and cramped inside; midgets only in the back. Noisy and couldn't see one being able to see off a VR. And how much does the S cost - think what else you could buy... Purely a posers car, only women drive them around here - which is a lot, say every 6th car - sorry!

I've been working for mini for 2 weeks and had chance to drive the whole range including the works model [which i beg for every lunch time!]

size wise i've been sat in the back on test drives with customers, i'm 6'2 and not a small lad and find it fine. admitedly, i wouldn't like to be in the back for a long journey and if your sat behind someone else at 6' plus, it'll be very tight. there's bags of head room though, something we lack in our C's!

The charger is noisy and it's not a 'nice' charger noise tbh.

As for it seeing off a VR, it wouldnt in standard form, but the works being 210bhp and similar in weight to the VR would hold its own...