Sign in to follow this  
mr_fusion

Z-Engineering Belt needed - no a/c HELP!!

I have bought a 2nd hand z-engineering zr1 supercharger. Unfortunately it is for VR6 with A/C.

Anyone either:

a) know the length for the right belt (7 rib double sided)

b) have one available to buy

c) know a part # or place i can get one from.

p.s am I correct in thinking that I don't need a different alternator bracket?

Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Ben

Thanks for the reply.

Is the bracket the same, but with the extra pulley (i.e 2 pulleys)?

The two belts i have are 67" long and came with the kit.

I have emailed supercharger.ch, but from experience they take a while to reply.

Yeah I had a z-charger without a/c and the bracket had an extra pulley below the tensioning pulley. The belt I had was 67" (couldn't remember whether it was 67 0r 68 but now I think about it was 67 and it was double sided.

If you get stuck, try using some string and wrapping it around where it normally goes then measuring it, you should find it to be around 1360mm

Chris

ok, so the belts I have are right then (7 rib double sided, 67").

Do you reckon the bracket could be modded by drilling a hole in the bracket and using a stock idler pulley (removed from the belt tensioner for instance).

Would be the cheapest option if its possible?

You might be able to use your bracket with a shorter belt. You just fit it so it spins the alternator the opposite way. You don't really need a double sided belt either. Can the belt be fitted on either side of the tensioner?

thats what i initally figured. as the alternator spits out an AC charge it should be ok.

question is, how long should the belt be... is it purely a case of refitting everything and measuring the length the belt should be with string (as mentioned by Chris VR6nos. Or is there an off the shelf belt that may work?

Another suggestion would be to fit an a/c compressor (think it just bolts on to the existing brackets) which would make everything correct.

You'd probably need something like 65" at a guess.

cool cheers.

might this be expensive.. compressors seem to be around the £200 mark!

A busted one would be ideal!

I could get it off him and send it down to you or you could give him a call to arrange something. His number is on the stokevwspares website.

I am happy to give him a call (probably quicker too, itching to get this installed!!)

Can you PM me the guys name please?

Cheers

right then!

after much messing about and 1 new fuel rail later (i bent the other one taking the FPR out!), I have finally fitted the the charger.

Just waiting for the right chip now (the guy I bought the charger from gave me the wrong one).

One question though.... there is a slight burning rubber smell from the area around the charger. Is this the belt slipping or is it something else?

The charger has been polished and the guy had not run it on his car since the polishing. Is it possible that the smell is just the charger "running in again" and burning off any bits of crap since it was reassesmbled?

Generally you will find little black grains of rubber dust on the charger which are caused by the belt slipping and you'll be able to smell some hot rubber smell :wink:

Chris

I haven't noticed and rubber dust yet (its only been on a couple of hours and I only drove the car around the block to check for any problems, at under 4000rpm to be careful)

Do you think I should take it somewhere for them to give it a quick once over? NS Racing perhaps as they are quite local?

Or am I worrying to much?

The belt does not squeal (it did the first time i fitted it and then realised that i had router the belt the wrong way round, but is fine now).

Would an over-tight belt cause the same problems?